This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
If I were to receive a degree in Journalism and Mass Communication, what job could I get?
11-27-2012, 06:46 AM
If I were to receive a degree in Journalism and Mass Communication, what job could I get?
I am a freshman in college, and I am still deciding on what I want to major in. I love English and I love to write, especially creative writing. I'd love to someday work at Newspaper or Magazine of some sort. However, with this economy I'm really concerned that I won't be able to find a job with the degree I'll have if I were to major in JMC. In about 4-5 years from now, what types of jobs do you think will be offered in relation to Journalism and Mass Comm?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-27-2012, 06:54 AM

1. Journalist:
You may have to decide which particular field you would like to work in later in your studies, and choose a career path that's fit for you. Some graduates from journalism school become correspondents for newspapers/magazines, others become anchors for TV networks. My advice would be to explore and learn more before making your call.
And given the plight the media industry is generally in, it may be difficult, at least in the short term, for newbies to land his/her ideal job at the first try. But many people have built interesting, rewarding careers as a journalist; some of them enjoy no less glamor and fame in public life than famous actors. This is the staple choice for students of journalism major.

2. Public relations:
This economy is starved for true talents in PR, not flashy hacks whose only forte is yelling on cell phones. If you are one of those so-called "people persons", with formidable social skills, a career in PR may be an excellent choice. You can develop those skills, by the way; they are not always inborn.

3. Consultant:
Look into companies that seek to establish media presence; search for firms that provide consultation to media companies; check out the agencies in fields like marketing, advertising, consumer research, etc. There may be a niche for students like you. The skills you acquire in journalism school will come in handy for a lot of jobs at these companies.

4. Academia:
There is always a possibility for teaching. Should you have the intention to find a job at a college/university, you would have to acquire more credentials than a bachelor's degree; previous [relevant] working experience outside academia also helps.

5. Writing [fiction, etc.]:
This is the dream job of many people [certainly mine, or at least for a while during college]. Many professional writers started as editors for magazines, you know, those in which good writing is regularly featured, not the glossy stuff. This is the path many have trodden and left. Try get an internship at a magazine's office; learn about their process.

Final word: you can start exploring these possibilities now. For example, instead of joining the poker club, why not become a writer for the campus newspaper? When your roommate drags you to another party, remind yourself that you can use that time to come up with an idea for your first short story. When the vacation comes, you'll get lots of time to research a topic of interest to the local population and to write it into a draft report, which might get picked up by a small newspaper. When they head for the job market, some people are grateful for the little efforts they've committed themselves to make in college. Many more are not that clever.

Anyway, GOOD LUCK!

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply