This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Are atheists for or against home schooling?
11-27-2012, 06:48 AM
Are atheists for or against home schooling?
I work with two of your ilk, and they believe homeschooling is bad because they believe the government should be in charge of every aspect of your life. They say homeschoolers be taught by religious nuts, or racists, but they forget that homeschoolers test very well

Five areas of academic pursuit were measured. In reading, the average home-schooler scored at the 89th percentile; language, 84th percentile; math, 84th percentile; science, 86th percentile; and social studies, 84th percentile. In the core studies (reading, language and math), the average home-schooler scored at the 88th percentile.

The average public school student taking these standardized tests scored at the 50th percentile in each subject area.

Read more: HOME-SCHOOLING: Outstanding results on national tests - Washington Times http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009...z2Bq4NCMh3
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter
Morbo the Hopelessly Clueless- Wrong. Schools get plenty of funding. Read about the bush years. Money was pumped nonstop. I want less taxes, less government, and cuts to the military budget. I'm not anti-education. We can get rid of things like the EPA, ATF, DHS, DOE, etc and then put a little money in education, but use it sensibly. We need education reform in this country because of bad teachers and kids that dont want to learn and their parents that dont give a sh!t

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-27-2012, 06:57 AM

Against because of social skills

Ads

There is more to educating and preparing a kid for life than the number on the top of a piece of paper. Also, I don't really see this as being a religious issue at all.

I'm on the fence about it. If the kid has a great private tutor that can keep him focused then I'm all for it but at the same time I think school can be great for kids to develop social skills and experience different things.

And on social integration? Because an academically advanced person that cannot function in regular society is not much use to even themselves.

I think the general standards are too vague in many areas. Nobody should be allowed to graduate from high school without passing an exam on evolution, for instance. Fortunately, many top universities are requiring that any such deficit be remedied before someone can graduate with their degree.

I'm for it.

I used to be against it, then a close friend moved to Utah the only way to protect her kids against the nut cases like yourself was ...... HOME SCHOOL.

They soon moved lol !

Sometimes homeschooling can be good, and sometimes it's downright terrible. Some children don't learn well in a traditional academic environment, whether because they're too far ahead or behind children their own age, have particular learning needs, or are subject to bullying and harassment by their peers. For these kids, homeschooling is a valuable option that allows them to thrive academically.

However, some parents use homeschooling to insulate their children from ideas that conflict with their narrow world-views, keeping them at home to teach them lies and anti-intellectual garbage. This is an abuse of the homeschooling system and is harmful to the children subjected to it.

If there is sufficient regulation of the homeschooling system to ensure that children are being taught competently and from a curriculum that offers a complete and accurate understanding of science, history, civics, and other important subjects, and it is ensured that homeschooling students are keeping up with their peers, then I support it. When students are being lied to and taught intolerance and hatred, I decidedly do not.

"they believe the government should be in charge of every aspect of your life"

I really doubt that. I don't know of any atheists or liberals who think that, but I know loads of conservatives who spout that lie as if it were true.

Home schooling can be very beneficial when it's done by well-educated parents who put the educational needs of the child first. When it's done for the sole purpose of indoctrination by fundamentalist parents who barely squeaked through high school themselves, things don't turn out quite so well.

I had a friend who ran a home-schooling co-operative. There were many parents in the group who had graduate or professional degrees who shared their expertise with all the kids in the group and many of them did extremely well academically. Then there were the fundamentalists. Their kids were the ones who still couldn't figure out change for a dollar when they were teenagers, couldn't construct a coherent paragraph, and never got past simple arithmetic because their parents didn't know enough math to teach them more and they were suspicious of the parents who offered to teach those kids higher math skills, because many of them had good science backgrounds.

Neither.

Atheism indicates a lack of belief in a god (any god). It does not imply a position on any other matter.

Your responders will all make a case for or against home schooling, so i will not bother. But I WILL point out that there will be people who do not believe in god but who are not opposed to home schooling. maybe they will post on here, or maybe not: The simple fact remains that there is not a connection between the opinion about one of these things and the opinion about the other.

You may detect what appears to be a numerical correlation between the viewpoints, but even then, it would be wrong to conclude that being atheist causes opposition to home schooling.

Finally, just in case I have failed to state the point adequately, there are plenty of believers of various religions who will opine that home schooling is a bad thing.

Every home schooler I know does so to religiously indoctrinate his/her spawn and to keep them as ignorant as they are.

I am against willful ignorance of any kind.