This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How can YHOO regain its competitive advantage, and increase its stock value and earnings?
11-27-2012, 06:50 AM
How can YHOO regain its competitive advantage, and increase its stock value and earnings?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-27-2012, 06:58 AM

Based off of the People that use Yahoo and Google its not that hard to see what yahoo lacks. Creativity!!

Ads

Hmmm...set up a company that rivals YouTube or try to relaunch it's search engine as something akin to google!

Yahoo! is still the #1 site visited on the web in terms of traffic rankings. Google is #3.

http://www.alexa.com/site/ds/top_500

I think there's a few things that can help YHOO. For starters, they need to get rid of their CEO. His glory days, IMO, are behind him. It's time to get fresh blood in there, and get new ideas going. As a shareholder, I'm sure even you are frustrated with the lack of real progress this company has made as of late (at least compared to Google).

Secondly, it MUST buy Facebook. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. If Google (or someone else) snaps this up, it is really going to throw Yahoo further back of its competition. While the Facebook property itself might not be profitable, just think of the demo it reaches (very few users over 30)...thats really the sweet spot for advertisers chasing the younger demo.

Thirdly, I have the feeling that if Yahoo stays at these depressed levels, another media company might decide to snap this company up (i.e. NBC Universal, who is desperately trying to build an online presence -- iVillage is a flop IMO). Paying $40 billion (which would be a hefty +21% premium based on yesterday's closing price) wouldn't be out of the question I think. Even though the merger itself might not end up paying off in the long run for the acquiring company, you as shareholders can finally cash out of this dog and move one to greener pastures.

The best way for yhoo to improve share value is to "not" focus on search. Yahoo will not be able to compete with Google in the search space. Yahoo needs to develop and promote its portal and media businesses. That is where they have a competitive advantage.