This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Starting a tiny (tiny) business for a teen to earn extra money - tips?
11-27-2012, 06:50 AM
Starting a tiny (tiny) business for a teen to earn extra money - tips?
So basically, I've recently been really interested in doing cute nail designs, and everyone always comments on my nails saying how good they are. I never really thought about doing them on other people, but my mum suggested it today and it got me thinking. I am 15 years old and this would only be a very small thing outside of school, but if I were to charge people £10 (is that a reasonable price?) for their nails it would be nice to have the extra money to save for university in a couple of years. I was just wondering how I would go about getting clients and when/where I would do them + juggling schoolwork, if each design takes 45 minutes to an hour.
So I'm just grateful for any tips at all you have, & if this is a good or silly idea!! I wouldn't be able to do them during school lunch hours because my school forbids nail polish :-(.
Also, do you have any name suggestions that I could use on facebook/twitter?

P.S Heres an example, tell me what you think!
http://instagram.com/p/QHc43OF2y7/?fb_so...er_message

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-27-2012, 06:58 AM

Sounds a great idea!

Find out what local nailbars are charging and make sure you charge well under that, at least to begin with.

As for when/where etc, that's all part of the business planning, doubtless in tandem with your mum! For safety's sake, they probably need to come to you when an adult is at home - Saturday mornings, perhaps?

Ads

Sounds lovely... a great service, making people feel really special and making you some extra cash too. OK, lots of issues once this goes beyond helping some friends...issues around liability, health and safety, environment, copy-write, competition, products, tax etc. So keep is simple and small, only take referrals from friends, be clear this is a favor and you are happy to take a gift (for example £10) if and when they are happy with your work towards your college fund... but don't ever take payment. Keep things really safe and clean and only use quality products from reliable sources.

The idea of having a special referral system and being exclusive will appeal to a lot of people... so you can keep a special looking note book with contact details... and ask any new people who referred them before talking in any detail about what they want or what you can do. You might like to send a special little thank you card to your friends who refer... just to show them you appreciate it and once again to remind everyone this is a special little circle to which they belong.

Again, tell your mom to get the proper insurance.
If you give a person a nail fungus from the sharing of equipment they can sue you.
They can take everything your family owns. Everything. Even the house.
Many people have died from these infections that are easily passed on.

First and foremost, find out if what you plan on doing is regulated by the Board of Health (or whatever you call it in the UK).

Here in the states, nail salons are regulated because the spread of infection (fungus, bacteria, etc) is VERY real and salons must follow procedures and be inspected.