This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What are the most popular media outlets in the U.S.?
11-27-2012, 06:53 AM
What are the most popular media outlets in the U.S.?
I'm a new published author and I need help on finding popular media outlets of the U.S.
I know "NewYork Times" is an excellent media outlet, but what about others out there?
I really need some help. If there's anyone out there, can you can give me an answer on what are the most POPULAR media outlets in Amercia and do they respond back if you have an awesome story to tell?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-27-2012, 07:02 AM

Brandon, there are literally hundreds of "media outlets," which is a pretty vague term. Every city has a newspaper: the Atlanta Constitution, the Chicago Tribune, the Dallas Morning News, the Sacramento Bee, the Philadelphia Enquirer. However, these publications don't respond to authors who have an awesome story, except to sell them ads.

I'm assuming you paid to publish, because publisher-pays-author books are promoted by the publisher, not the author. Publishers have contacts in media outlets, can get book reviews in newspapers and magazines, pay for ads, and place the book in stores, where most sales occur.

Marketing a self-published book is very nearly impossible. Most media outlets don't want to hear from you and will throw away review copies and press releases you send. Chain bookstores won't host signings or carry copies (although they will order them for customers). Magazines, TV, and radio don't want your press releases, either, and won't do interviews, although like the newspaper, they will sell you ad space. The library won't accept free copies. Your blog, Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, and other electronic self-promotion efforts won't increase sales.

About the only marketing I've seen have any effect for self-published authors is active participation at forums and chats dealing with the subject of your book. If, for instance, you book is about a woman escaping an arranged marriage in India, you would find websites with and India connection, women's rights websites, and such. Find your niche market and determine where online they hang out. You'll sell a few more copies than you might have, but overall, like most self-published books, regardless of quality, total sales will probably remain below 100 copies.

Rather than knocking yourself out with such a big effort which is likely to be futile, write another book and get it to a paying publisher.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply