This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What books are more likely to get published?
11-27-2012, 06:55 AM
What books are more likely to get published?
I was wondering what type of books are most likely to get published - as in what genre? I read a lot of books that would usually be aimed at teenage girls - as i am one - and i would like to be a writer, but i am not very good a writing books that are in the science fiction or crime genres or any type of action book. So i was wondering what kind of books are publishers usually most interested in publishing, if that makes any sense Smile?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-27-2012, 07:03 AM

I don't believe any one genre is more likely than another genre to be published just based on it's genre. In other words, a well-written horror novel stands a better chance of being published than a cliche romance novel does, and vice versa.

Ads

No need to change your style or genre as there are literary agents that deal with ALL book genres and you have every chance of being published if your story is good enough. I would suggest you continue writing and when you have a copy you are happy with, send it to a reputable agent (you can find these in directories and online) meet them face to face if possible for a better chance. Then they will pitch it to a publisher. Best of luck!

You need a great book that's fairly well-written (though sometimes a great concept can make up for average writing) and your book needs commercial potential.

Yes, some genres sell better than others. But, you can't write based on trends (I know you're not implying that you will). What's trending right now might be old hate by the time you're ready to send off a manuscript.

If you want to know how the market for your genre is fairing then this is something you're going to have to keep track of for yourself. There are a lot of magazines and websites dedicated to the publishing industry (don't get your info from any old site, make sure it's a reputable industry website). There are a lot of folks who work in publishing on social media websites and they talk a lot about the industry. That's how you can keep up on it.

You're question is too broad and general, and is really the wrong question to ask. And, since you're asking a broad and general question, you're going to get a broad and general answer: they're looking for something they think the public will like. -> that's always their answer to questions like yours.

Focus on what you want to write. Make sure you bring something unique to it and that it's not just another [insert genre] book that's unoriginal. Write what you like to read and do your best at it. dont' worry about the current trends, because they can change by this time next year. Good luck with your work.

I know you're looking for specifics, but you're asking a question that no one can give you specifics, too, and that no professional who works in publishing will answer you specifically because they can't - they're looking for whatever good thing crosses their desk that they think readers will enjoy.

Well all I know is that plain ole FICTION is the most difficult to sell for publishers, so they like anything else other then that. Science fiction is probably the most popular cuz of the whole vampire warewolfs stuff... hate that crud...
And crime genres arent very popular anymore :/