This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How do I fit a holographic sight on my carbine?
11-27-2012, 06:55 AM
How do I fit a holographic sight on my carbine?
I recently purchased a BXP 9mm carbine and I'm interested in fitting a holographic sight for night shooting and as a patrol carbine. Here is a picture of where the sight will be fitted: http://twitter.yfrog.com/odugsknj

I have the following questions:

1.Will I have to buy a weaver mount seperately or can I screw the sights directly on to the gun?

2.For what distance should I zero the sights?

3.If I zero the sights as a left-handed shooter, will a right-handed shooter be able to shoot with the same accuracy?

4.The option of sights is limited by price - I would love EoTech, however my finances are limited and saving up for ten months isn't an option. The NcStar and the knock-off Eotechs are available. What sight available to South Africa could be considered durable enough for my purposes?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-27-2012, 07:04 AM

1) You should ALWAYS buy an appropriate mounting system. Screwing the sight directly to the gun is either not possible, or incredibly unwise. Always, always, always use the correct mounting system.

2) Zero the sight in for the distance you expect to be shooting. If you are using it as a police gun, I would expect that 25 yards would be appropriate. Otherwise, you will have to make that determination yourself.

3) I don't really know why you'd let someone else play with your patrol rifle, but since you asked, there shouldn't be any issue with someone else shooting fairly accurately.

4) With all due respect, you should probably save up for an EOTech or Aimpoint. Don't get an NcStar. NcStar is apparently a Chinese word for "piece of junk." Incidentally, only EOTech makes a true "holographic" sight that's worth purchasing. I don't know what is available in South Africa, but I would advise you to hold out for something that isn't a knock-off, because the minute you get into a scuffle or bang the carbine up against something on accident, "knock off" is what will happen to the sight. Even if it isn't broken off the rifle, odds are you'll never be able to get the sight zeroed again, which means that the $40 you spent on the cheap sight will be wasted.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply