This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My Laptop won't charge, i believe electricity don't pass by?
11-27-2012, 06:56 AM
My Laptop won't charge, i believe electricity don't pass by?
It's a dell Vostro 1000

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-27-2012, 07:04 AM

Does it power / turn on on when plugged in using the power adapter ?
Do the LED lights come on for plugged in, battery, hard drive ?
Check the power port jack pin for being lose from mother board, this is the pin the power adapter charger plugs into. Have the battery and power adapter tested at a computer center.

Ads

Likely, either the port in the laptop is broken, or the power adapter no longer works for some reason. If you believe the power adapter to be functioning, you may have broken the power jack that in the laptop. I have repaired 3 dell laptops in the past 5 years that family members and friends had brought to me asking for help as to why it wouldn't charge. Each one had a broken power jack.

If your power jack is broken, likely the plug of the power adapter won't fit as firmly into the jack as it use to. It may even be very wiggly. If at any time, holding the power plug in the jack in a certain way allowed the laptop to charge, it's likely the jack is indeed broken.

The cheapest solution for repairing a broken jack would be to acquire the service manual for the laptop on the Dell website, disassemble it, and either repair the jack if possible or replace it with a new one. New power jacks for laptops can usually be purchased from eBay for less than $10.

Here is a jack I found on ebay that is listed as for a Vostro 1000: http://www.ebay.com/itm/110850841988

You would need soldering skills...

Of course, you could always take to to a computer repair shop. You'll likely pay about a $70+ "benching fee" ontop of the time it takes them to look at it. Then they'll charge you the cost/labor/time to repair it. Maybe there are better repair shops around where you live, but the local ones around here are pretty shady and expensive.

When this first started, did you get a plugged in not charging error? Windows Vista, 7, and 8 tend to have a problem where if you click the battery icon in the task bar, it will say plugged in not charging. If this is the case, try the following methods.
1. Remove the battery and leave the AC cord in. Click start, type device manager and go to the device manager. Find Microsoft compliant battery, right click it, and click uninstall. Then reboot your computer and see if it re installs. If not, go back to the device manager and click action then scan for hardware changes. Once the driver is re installed, replace the battery.
2. Check your AC cord for kinks or damage. If there's a lot of damage, you can order a new AC cord.
3. If a new AC cord doesn't work, order a new battery.

Hope this helps.

1. Remove the battery and Plug it
2. If it doesn't work try to use other AC Adapter
3. Use the battery only and check

7200mAh/80WH
replacement 7800mAh/85Wh
replacement 5200mAh
replacement Battery Type: Li-ion
Voltage: 11.1V
Capacity: 7200mAh/80WH
Color: Black
Net Weight: 542g
Dimension: 205*72*22.7mm
Condition: 100% new Replacement Battery

Hello, I am Nitika from the Dell Social Media outreach team.

As per your post what I understand is there can be a problem with the charger or with battery also .To recognize this issue we have to perform some diagnostic steps.

1. Power on your computer & start tapping F2 so that we can get BIOS page
2. .Under the main Tab check the AC Type & check whether adapter /charger is showing unknown / 65 Watts / 90 Watts.
3. If possible please check with spare charger also & observe.

I would also suggest you to install the quick set utility driver from (dell.co.in/support).
** You have to just write your service tag
**select the operating system
**go to application
**select quick set utility driver
**install it & restart your computer

Once you done with installation just press F3 in windows or right click on battery icon & check Battery health status and note if you are getting nay error .

Also follow the instructions below to run hardware diagnostics
1. Press F12 on the dell logo while powering on the system.
2. Complete all the diagnostics and make a note of error codes if any

I would appreciate you if I can get your service tag also so that I can check your order details and give you the correct driver if required .

And you can find the service tag

**on the bottom of the laptop on the white sticker
**it’s a seven digit alphanumeric code which ends with BS or number 1.

If in case you do face any challenges in the process, please feel free to contact me directly by sending me a private message or by through a reply to this blog.
We would recommend you do not post your private information on a public forum and if in incase any specific contact details need to be shared, please use a private message.

Thanks & Regards
DELL_NITIKA_K
Dell Social Media Responder
http://www.dell.co.in/support
http://www.facebook.com/dellindia
http://twitter.com/dellcares