This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Can someone explain twitter to me?
11-27-2012, 06:58 AM
Can someone explain twitter to me?
okay im about to make a twitter and i have some questions about it.

is there a way to like "tag" someone in a tweet like a facebook status?

what is retweeting?

can you private message people?

how do you get people to follow you?

thanksss Smile

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-27-2012, 07:06 AM

no there is no taging and yes you can retweet things and yes private message as well and you follow the people who have the same interests as you like me i have pretty little liars people following me i wasnt addicted to mine but now i am im on it right now as we speak hahah that hope that helped

Ads

1. You can't "tag" someone, but you can "mention" them. It's kind of like facebook. If you want to mention someone, all you have to do is type the @ symbol followed by their username. It doesn't work if you just put their username without the @ symbol. It will automatically make a link to their page.

2. Retweeting is when you see a tweet you like, and want the rest of your followers to see it. You can hit the retweet button for ease, or if you want to add your own comment to what they said (reply) you can copy and paste their tweet, and add "RT" before their name and add your comment either at the beginning or the end.

For example, someone tweets: @Twitter1: I like pies
If you want to retweet, copy and paste "I like pies" and put RT before their name so it looks like this:
"RT @Twitter1 I like pies"
If you want to add a comment, type it like this:
"I like pies too! RT @Twitter1 I like pies" OR "RT @Twitter1 I like pies <--I like pies too!"

3. You can private message people. It's called a DM (Direct Message).

4. A lot of people get other people to follow them in a lot of ways. Most people just advertise their username on facebook. Once you have enough followers, some people will follow you just by other people mentioning you. On fridays, twitter users do "Follow Friday" where they do nothing but mention people so others can follow you.

I know it sound like a lot, and many people make a twitter and never use it because it sounds hard. It's also pointless if you don't have at least 50 followers. But once you get enough followers and get the hang of it (By practice!) it becomes ADDICTIVE! Just start by following all your favorite celebrities, TV shows, websites, etc.

Yes you can "tag" someone.
It's called "mentioning" them.
For example, if your twitter username is "iamfunny" and I want to "tag" you in something I'm saying, I'll say:

"me and @iamfunny just came back from the mall" (and you HAVE to put that @symbol without a space before their username to "tag" / "mention" someone"

Pretty much, re-tweeting something is kinda like "liking" something on Facebook. If someone tweets something funny, a quote you like, or just something that you like, you click 're-tweet' and it will re-tweet that tweet to your followers under THAT person's username (username of whoever originally tweeted what you like) along with something under it saying that it's YOU that re-tweeted it.

Yes you can private message people, it's called a DM or Direct Message or simply Message. That person you want to message has to be following you as well, (and you following them), otherwise celeberities would have 49305893053 messages from people that they aren't even following.

Your friends will follow you if you ask. If you have Facebook, post a status saying that you have a twitter and that they should follow you and you can even promise you'll follow them back. Also, I find if you follow celeberities, some random people will somehow end up following you. They're not stalkers or anything but if you want you can "block" them to make them stop following you if you're creeped out by it. I don't block people I don't know that live millions of miles away from me simply because it just looks good to have a bigger number of followers.

Hope I helped! Smile