This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is it illegal to link public photos from Facebook to Twitter without the persons permission?
11-27-2012, 07:01 AM
Is it illegal to link public photos from Facebook to Twitter without the persons permission?
Let's just say, I stumbled across a load of footballers (HUGE Premier League stars) in a photo album on Facebook doing things that would get them in a lot of trouble with their clubs. The photos have been uploaded as public, meaning anybody that visits this persons profile can see all of the photos. Would it be illegal, considering they're set to public but have a private-life tone to them, for me to link the album that contains these photos to Twitter / my own Facebook?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-27-2012, 07:09 AM

No. Anything that is posted to the internet and is not copyrighted or trademarked is fair game.

Ads

LINKING Is legal. Copying and pasting may not be.

It would be legal to link the album unless you had reason to know that the album was uploaded without permission of the copyright owners, making it a copyright infringement, and your link would be a "contributory infringement".

Similarly, if I know you have a pretty house, it is legal for me to tell people your address, but not legal for me to tell people where you hide your spare key and suggest they show themselves in.