This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
"Over the last few years there has been a convergence of IT and Communication technologies" What does this mea?
11-27-2012, 07:02 AM
"Over the last few years there has been a convergence of IT and Communication technologies" What does this mea?
This is actually a question from my AQA ICT (A2) text book. They have asked me to discuss this statement. It is a 10 mark question. Please help me on this. Thanks in advance.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-27-2012, 07:11 AM

Cell phones are an Information Technology device and a mobile communications device. Blackberries store lots of info and let people send emails. iPads are something like that too. That's the direction you should go with that question.

Ads

Well the thing is, once upon a time, Communication Technologies was all about finding new and innovative ways to reach out to your target market. For example, a toy company wants to get the attention of younger children, who can then nag their parents to buy a certain toy. This has generally been done through television commercials, magazines, billboards, things like that. The communication technology was whatever media you were using to communicate, and the advertising/marketing/communications were all about making your presentation fit the technology that was available.

As the IT field grows, we are finding ourselves capable of making the technology fit our ideas, instead of making our ideas fit into the technology we have. Consequently, if you are marketing a product lets say, you really can't effectively reach out to your audience anymore without the help of a strong IT support system. As an example, if I owned the toy company, a few years ago I would have put out TV commercials and I would have wanted them to air during saturday morning cartoons when children were likely to be watching tv, or in the hour or two after school lets out when kids are getting home and relaxing. Now, I can still do that, but I also want to create marketing that can be added to kids favorite websites, like facebook. In other companies, I may also want to create things like iphone/blackberry apps so that my customers can access information about my products any time and anywhere. I can't just be a communications person, I need IT knowledge as well to make these things happen. When people search for me on the internet, I need web designers to put certain coding into my site to make it possible for those search engines to find me based on key words.

The point is, IT and communications have become so strongly integrated that you almost can't effectively have communications without IT. The modern community has become so reliant on technology and comfortable using technology that if a company can't keep up, their customer base will never see them. People who once used to look around while they were driving and notice what shops were in their area, are now too busy texting on their phones, watching their GPS navs, etc to look around. We need to get into their phones, into their GPS systems, into their laptops, into their websites, into their social networking (like me on facebook! get a coupon when you click the like button!) etc in order to get their attention. This would be impossible without IT. Communications still creates the marketing, but IT implements it.

"Over the last few years there has been a convergence of IT and Communication technologies" it means technology is working together & for final product