This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What makes a religious person - please read details before answering?
12-03-2012, 04:51 PM
What makes a religious person - please read details before answering?
I'm just curious about how many people have had a genuine "spiritual experience" (Based on a religious teaching or not) where time or events changed in some overwhelming and unexplainable way, or they had communication with something they could not otherwise explain... It couldn't be more obvious that many people belong to a religion because of the social pressure on them from their families and communities. Those who are young or not educated lack certain experience and are therefore certainly more susceptible to becoming religious due to fear, confusion, or just the human need for comfort. There are a large number also that attend church because they feel that it makes them look better to others within their careers and communities, but they understand and/or believe almost nothing about their religion. I am not interested in discussing the above mentioned categories of people.

I am interested in whether there are still people today that are not mentally ill in any classical sense and that really see some spiritual world around them, angels, demons, Gods etc... and if so, might they possess some sensory connections that the majority of people do not possess?

This would naturally rule out those claiming to be psychic, writing books or being involved in other marketing shame - yes I said shame, just in case anybody misunderstood and thought I meant sham.

For thousands of years, on many continents there have been writings, and drawing in caves and on canyon of humans either seeing or communicating with what they have thought were "gods". If there is no truth in any of these statements made in so many mediums for so long a time and in such diverse locations, what are we to attribute this too?

So again my question for clarity;

Are there people today that are not mentally ill that see some spiritual world around them, angels, demons, Gods etc... and if so, might they possess some sensory connections that the majority of people do not possess?

Please share your personal experience, experience you have heard about and believe the person that gave you the account, or just your opinion on this subject'

Thanks to all in advance.
Very cute Cheir but this is not referring to any specific religion. This is a question about the possibility of a genuine spiritual experience by a person of any religious order or lack there of, being real in some way that most people can not experience, maybe due to brain or nervous system structure. I have not down thumbed you, there is time to edit your answer. My question is not a joke or insult, and there are clearly people that fit the categories of behavior I mentioned, If they don't like how the shoe fits maybe they can change feet.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-03-2012, 04:59 PM

Are you referring to Muslims, Sikhs, Hindus, Buddhists, Judaists as mentally ill, or just Christians?

Ads

12-03-2012, 04:59 PM

Interesting question...
However, just to point out a slightly different perspective...many religious people truly believe in God as the reality, just as people today believe the earth is a sphere and not flat.
So asking for accounts of religious experiences is like asking someone "Hey, did you have like an actual experience of science? Like a sensory connection with the Big Bang, or with planets galaxies away?"
Also, of course there are many mystics who do seem to describe the spiritual experiences you are asking about. And from what I've read and heard, they describe it not as a spiritual experience, but as an "unveiling of the truth". When they finally understand the reality of the world in their perspective, as if a light bulb suddenly went on in their heads.
As for me personally, I believe religious people fall into two categories, those who see "spiritual" realities all around them, as clearly evident in the world every where they look, in the order of nature and the psyche of the human being etc, then there are those who become one with the world and who understand the interconnectedness and ultimate unity of everything - and they describe that as a spiritual experience. Of course, in my opinion, angels, demons etc. are simply metaphors within religion.