This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Not comfortable with toddler getting mail - Anyone agree?
12-08-2012, 01:57 AM
Not comfortable with toddler getting mail - Anyone agree?
I'm not comfortable with my 2-year-old's name being on the outer envelope of mail. If people want to send my kid something, fine, but address it to the family, or put an inner envelope inside with his name.

Recently, a non-family person sent my toddler a Christmas card, and addressed it to my toddler. I'm just not comfortable with his name being thrown out there on mail just yet. I asked my mother about this, and she said I was over-reacting. While I value her genuine feedback, I'm still not at ease with this.

I know he'll receive mail eventually (birthday invites, school, etc.), but this is a 2-year-old. What ever happened to PRIVACY? "To the parents of....."?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-08-2012, 02:05 AM

I see where you are coming from, I personally do not have as much of an issue with it. Even a letter saying "To the parents of" will still have the kid's name on it. And I know whenever I get an appointment reminder in the mail from my children's pediatrician, that is exactly what it says. My family typically sends things to the family, and not directly to my children, but it has happened before, and I just didn't think anything of it. If it bothers you that much, politely ask people who may send him something through the mail, to address the outer envelope with the family name, and not your son's.

Ads

I don't understand. How is addressing mail "To the parents of John Smith" any different than addressing it to "John Smith"?

No, I don't agree. My girls are 3 and 5 and their Grandma sends them mail and they get magazines in their names. I have no problem with it.

I don't see what privacy has to do with a family friend sending your child a Christmas card.

EDIT - to Bobbi, my daughter's kindergarden teacher sends out cards to all the kids in his class, I forgot! She was thrilled to get mail, and they love getting their magazines!

I think if they did "to the parents of" it's still have the child's name on it. A lot of kids thinks it's really fun to get mail so that's probably what the intent was. It's weird that a christmas card was sent to only your son and not to the family. If your gut is telling you this is bad, I guess listen to it. But I think most young kids get really excited about mail.

Privacy? Kids love getting mail. We had a teacher that sent out cards to all her preschoolers for Christmas one year. Yes you are really over reacting. What is so wrong with your lil one getting mail? and FYI ---- good chance your name and info are already plastered all over the internet. (and sometimes the kids names find there way too to the net.) Now, if the mail is from some creepy stalker I would be concerned. But a family friend, church, teacher, or such is OK. ToysRUs sends a card out to our lil ones on their birthday, so they are already on marketing lists.

What is your privacy concern?

Children love getting mail addressed to them!

I think the media and its constant threats and worries is making you afraid of something that doesn't exist. If anyone wants to they can easily find out your toddler's name and information, assuming he has a birth certificate. I agree with the other answerers that kids LOVE getting mail. The only way you could keep your child PRIVATE is if you never told anybody of his existence and I'm pretty sure that's kind of looked down up in our society. Sorry, I agree with your mother and I think it's sweet that your friends addressed the card to your toddler. They were obviously trying to do something special.

I think you're over reacting. How is anyone going to know just by the name it's a toddler?

I don't really see the big deal and I don't understand where you are coming from.

My husband grandmother addresses our daughters birthday cards to her. It doesn't bother me, because I don't have a personal relationship with my mailman.

And my daughter who is almost 2, loves checking the mail. She hasn't recieved anything recently, but I'm sure she'd be thrilled just as well.

I don't see this as a privacy issue at all.

You should be concerned about posting your child's name on facebook,twitter, etc, as well as posting pictures. THAT is a bigger privacy concern.

Putting a toddler's name on an envelope in the mail is not "putting it out there". It's illegal for anyone but the USPS to go into your mailbox, and honestly, if you think the employees at the USPS are spying on the names on envelopes, not only do they have better things to do with their time, but a name on an envelope means nothing to them - it's a name, it doesn't come with an age, or gender, or any other information. It's just a name.

I agree with your mother. You also sound a little paranoid.