This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
what does this comment mean? genuine answers please..?
12-10-2012, 05:47 PM
what does this comment mean? genuine answers please..?
what does it mean when someone says you are like
"a slap in the face" was told this at work yest, i commented in conversation (friendly and polite)to a sometime work colleague about their black coffee no sugar, and was told the coffee was a "slap in the face, like u are" then conversation was ok, no bad vibes and i barely work with this person
do they mean im rude, ugly, what?
im professional at all times and dont apprecaite this comment, its been forgotten by them and things continued but what does it mean when ppl say this?

genuine answers only

thanks

addit: in this section as i got hateful answers elsewhere,and no i dont like them romantically or them me! we are sometime colleagues who barely work together and remain professional, why do ppl make these nasty? comments.. and no it wasnt said as a joke..

nasty answers not needed
it was just me making a casual, trying to make conversation, half joking, comment coffee, i wasnt rude and didnt mean to offend, was trying to be friendly but perhaps they took offence,? it was just a comment!

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-10-2012, 05:55 PM

They most possibly had a poor sense of humor ?

Ask them next time, "What do you mean ?"

Good Luck.

Best Wishes.

Mars Mission Soon In A Galaxy Near Yours..

Source(s):

Studies.

Ads

12-10-2012, 05:55 PM

Since you don't tell us EXACTLY what you said to the co-worker it is impossible to interpret precisely what their response might have meant. Saying something is "a slap in the face" can mean the person takes it as an insult but in some cases it is more benign, as in that it is a "wake-up call" or something that snaps you out of being groggy . My guess is that is what he meant: the coffee was an energizer for him, like you are (meaning that there is something energizing and upbeat about you that helps him wake up, like the coffee does.

I would suggest instead of brooding and perseverating about their comment, you just forget about it, since you get along fine with the guy and he seems pleasant to you.

Often people just misinterpret what you say and it is nobody's fault. For instance, my boyfriend, who is a doctor, saw a notice by a friend of his on Facebook that she had arranged for her husband with cancer to be treated at a special out of town clinic. He posted a note asking her "I'm curious as to why you decided to do that. What do they offer there that you could not get at the local hospital?" What he meant was that he was honestly curious about the kind of treatments that were available at the special clinic and how they might help her husband. But she took it completely wrong and thought that he was getting down on her for going out of town instead of the local hospital. She responded in an angry and indignant way and then blocked him so now he can't even try to explain that she misunderstood what he was saying.

It is usually best when someone makes a comment that strikes us an odd, out of place or insulting, to presume that they spoke accidentally or you heard it wrong. If there has been no pattern of hostlity or insult from the person before or since, it was almost always just a slip of the tongue that means nothing.