This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How do I stop comparing myself to other girls?
12-11-2012, 12:22 AM
How do I stop comparing myself to other girls?
I think - or rather, I know - that I am very pretty. I look at myself in the mirror and even though of course I have bad days where when my hair isn't done I feel gross, most of the time I think I would rate myself an 8 or 9 out of 10. There are definitely things I like about myself and things I don't like (I love my teeth but I'm 5'8" at 132 and I want to lose 8lbs). But the problem is: I always feel like I have good self-confidence until I go on Facebook and I see pictures of girls who are just gorgeous. And that's when I feel ugly, too tall, clumsy, and I become aware of my broad shoulders, the fact that my hair isn't as long as I want, the fact that my leg doesn't look as thin as hers does when she bends it, etc. It's awful!

For example: I have a good friend who's cousin is in my opinion, just gorgeous. She is very photogenic (which I am not) and it's embarrassing to admit, but even though I hate looking at her Facebook pictures because it makes me feel bad, I do anyway and it's like self-torture. This happens with other girls too who I know in person and who just seem to always look beautiful. How do I maintain a level of self-confidence when I'm not by myself? How do I stop comparing myself to other girls? I'm 21 years old, so the old "high school" excuse can't be used anymore.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-11-2012, 12:30 AM

Self-confidence doesn't come from appearance; it comes from how you feel about yourself as a person. Are you a nice person? Are you a smart person? Are you kind? Are you really good at something that you're proud of? You may think this isn't related to appearance but it is. Appearance is perception. There a millions of physically beautiful girls who think they're ugly because they aren't proud of who they are as people. There are millions of physically mediocre girls who think they're beautiful because they feel beautiful. You may say my answer is cliche, but it's also truth. Stop focusing on appearance and look deeper.

Ads

There is a saying: Don't compare yourself to others - compare yourself to how you were yesterday.
You needn't feel bad about yourself in any way because looks and beauty are all opinion. Remember that lots of girls on facebook don't look that way in real life.
Take care of yourself Smile

It's human nature to compare ourselves to others but you have to set your own standards. As woman we are all beautiful in many ways and beauty has no comparison because it's in the eye of the beholder. It's Ok to admire the beauty of another woman because that says alot about who you are as a person, you just have to believe yourself that you are just as beautiful as the next woman. You have to learn that we are all born to be different, we have different mindsets, we interpret things differently, we have different experiences, we feel different emotions and being different from the next person is what makes us unique. No one is perfect and our imperfections is what makes us beautiful. Continue to do the things that make you feel good and when you see other beautiful woman acknowledge that and move on, life is about more than looks whats on the outside can be ruined in the snap of a finger it's whats on the inside that counts so make it matter and own your beauty at all times.

You simply have to distract yourself. Do something that will attract your complete attention. It might seem a little difficult to find something like that, but it's actually quite easy. If you need fast access, you could simply put a word into your friend Google and read something about it (maybe on Wikipedia). After some time, there is bound to be something that catches your interrest and you will maybe search for books about it. This way I came to my interest in language structures and endet up reading books about grammar and phonology of languages. I never expected something like this to happen since I hated to learn foreign languages in school and was never good at learning them – including english Tongue.