This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The affect of social networking on the senior community?
12-11-2012, 02:22 PM
The affect of social networking on the senior community?
I am doing a college project about how different age groups are affected by social networking, I have all the age groups with 500 words each (minimum), however I am stuck on the senior community.

This can be advantages or disadvantages to using social network sites (sucha as facebook, twitter, myspace and so on)

Thanks for any help

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-11-2012, 02:30 PM

I am a senior, and I have absolutely no interest in Facebook, Twitter, etc.
So, no effect on me

Ads

I think it's extremely advantageous for people to be able to stay in touch with their senior loved ones this way, and, visa versa. I have great fun getting in touch with former high school buddies, and college friends to catch up on past times; sharing photos of the kids, etc. I love it!!..

No effect on me either. This is my FB, Twitter, Myspace, Youtube all rolled up into one place. The senior citizen community isn't all bonkers over sharing all the gory stories of our lives. Just submit a blank page. Glad to be of help.

I could tell you many a story about a hippy dude that played by the rules and beat the man.

I know several seniors at my church who are also on Facebook. It's a good way to stay in touch with younger relatives, grandchildren, and friends. One can share photos, favorite videos, favorite Bible verses, recipes, knitting patterns, whatever. I can't think of any disadvantages, right now.

FB, twitter and myspace are all off limits for me. I am not conviced that they are secure enough, I've heard of too many stories where they are problematic.

I like facebook and have no problem using it. I've caught up with a lot of classmates that I lost contact with. All my kids are on as are my neices and nephews. I think it's fine as long you check your privacy settings etc. I don't comment on anything on facebook unless it trivial. I would rather send an email. Breaking up with people etc. posting pictures etc. you have to be careful what information your putting out there. It's easier for me to keep in contact with my family etc. using facebook.
Twitter is boring to me. It's like people posting what they are doing 24 hours a day. Don't care if your getting a manicure or pedicure.

I don't believe Facebook, twitter and myspace are secure, and I have heard some horrible stories. I personally do not like them and will not use them.

(Go ahead TD that too, Milton)

I don't use facebook, twitter or myspace. I have enough to do with e-mailing a few people now and then. And, actually I prefer phone calls over e-mail.