This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
would I really need to purchase a web server in order to build an application on facebook?
12-13-2012, 06:48 AM
would I really need to purchase a web server in order to build an application on facebook?
I have 20348756234 ideas for applications on facebook. is a web server necessary? if so, what are the range of prices?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-13-2012, 06:56 AM

To start out, you only need a shared host, probably. There are many good ones out there -- I personally like A2 Hosting (like $5/mo).

If it takes off, you can later switch to a VPS ($10-$20) or several and eventually, to a dedicated server ($100+) or several.

Ads

12-13-2012, 06:56 AM

Yes, you'll need a webserver. A cheaper option would be to get a virtual private server (VPS). See http://www.vpslux.com/?page=explained for a quick intro if you don't know what it is already.

You will need to have root access to configure your application. A shared provider account won't help much. They generally don't allow you to remote into the server and change things at all. And even if they do, they don't let you modify global configuration files, etc.

Also, be sure to get a fully managed VPS so you won't have to deal with security and maintenance. Plus, the provider will help out anytime when things go south.

Best