This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Do Americans live more for the convenience; while Europeans live more for the social living?
12-14-2012, 06:37 PM
Do Americans live more for the convenience; while Europeans live more for the social living?
Social living meaning social interactions. Example, we drive our cars and trucks without much social interaction because it is convenient but in European they use bikes and trains more so they interact socially. This is a general across-the-board question. I know cities like Chicago or New York have metro systems. When Europeans buy groceries they are talking with the vendors etc. Hope you understand the question.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-14-2012, 06:45 PM

I do understand your question and I think there's some merit to it. I'm an American but I lived in Australia in the early 90's. Often we would go to a 'club' and be seated at a picnic type table with a bunch of strangers. I have to admit, initially it felt odd but I soon learned that it was fun to get to meet and interact with new people. I loved the fact that I didn't shop at a big super market. I got my bread and pastries at the bakery, the produce at a produce stand and the meat at a meat market. The vendors do have more of an opportunity to get to know their customers and it was fun to be recognized when I became a regular.
I'm guessing it's more of a cultural thing instead of an indication that Americans are less social.

Ads

It's been decades since I lived in Europe, but given my years living there, I'd answer YES.

Americans are far less 'social' than we'd like to believe.

I now travel frequently to the Caribbean islands and to Southern USA states and find it totally different in terms of interactions amongst the denizens.

SAD I'd say.

I sometimes yearn for living in a small town where 'everybody knows your name'

One reason we may be different could be that we are not a homogenous group and way too diverse to have that inbred cultural pride...yes, we may be proud of being an American, but culturally/ethnically we are so different that few shared 'events'; rituals; pasttimes etc are ingrained in each of us...instead we partition off in groups wherein we feel most comfortable. Whereas my experience in Europe was more one of EVERY body did certain things of a social nature.

e.g., I learned to drive in France...learned with produce trucks and bikes and in the country with cows etc....never complained. It was part of the culture and I learned to appreciate it. I knew the vendors....food, wine, poultry, beef, seafood etc. I knew my neighbors [can't even tell you who my neighbors are now!]

When I lived in a town of 12,000 in New England and my cocker spaniel got lost, everybody in town knew who he was and came out to look for him.

When I lived in Italy and later France, regardless of race all denizens seemed to rally round many of the same leisure pursuits; held the same views on family; cherished friends and weekly outings with such and never seemed to let WORK take the front pew in their lives.

Over the years we've lost something of intrinsic value in our country and I pray we get it back.

I agree, life in Europe is more sociable and enjoyable for that reason.

depends where u live.here in the south,the neighbors and we,all sit on our porches on nice evenings,all ages,several races,we all visit,introduce each others friends,etc.so,it is a reflection of the area u grew up in.as for bike riding,i ride my bike to/from work,my wife walks.we are lucky to live in commuting distance.we know the same greeters at walmart for 14 years,that we hug them.the south is that way-hospitality,neighborliness.

What about dogs?

I think it depends on which part of Europe you're looking at,the Spanish are one of the friendliest and family orientated peoples you could ever wish to have as friends and neighbours,but this cannot be applied to all Europeans. Some Nationalities cannot stand each other,ask any Englishman who cannot speak french in most parts of France.As for shopping, more and more Supermarkets are taking over from the small shopkeepers,partially due to unrestricted trading within the E.U. allowing supermarket chains to trade freely in all of the country's.The whole European way of life has changed quite a lot in the last ten Years.

I do believe that the Europeans enjoy social interaction and I have yet to meet anyone who complained about waiting in a line with more than 3 people in it.

Quite understandable and also quite interesting. You are right, I think. The European way of life, especially in small towns, is far more conducive to sociability.

Sorry, but how can you interact more on a bike than you can in a car?