This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How to start your own social network site?
12-17-2012, 11:24 AM
How to start your own social network site?
Social Networking is booming these days. My colleagues and friends all use to visit similar sites on a daily basis.

Big players like yahoo and google have their own social networking platforms integrated with blogs & forums to attract thousands of members.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-17-2012, 11:32 AM

Do you have a really good knowledge in web design and coding? If not, you probably won't want to take on the challenge of making the site, upkeeping the site, and paying for a domain name.

Ads

Yea Microsoft has a really good website for the Zune were you can also share the music with your friends, too bad no one knows about because they have Ipods.

you can google it...

A few years ago you probably could, now its next to impossible.
Look for new ideas, dont try to copy old ones.
You cant expect to make a social networking site compareable to whats out there right now, so you are just wasting your time...

SOCIAL NETWORKING IS A SIN IN THE EYES OF THE LORD.

that stuff is way overplayed man..
there are millions of those things out there, nobody is interested in joining a new one. Lets say you like myspace and facebook, the odds of you joining another is nill. Or if you like neither same thing, not a good demographic.
That and the market is flooded with people thinking the same way as you. Try something else, or come at it from a new angle.

As a followup to a comment that I just wrote I want to say something about my view on creating a social network (or a site in general).

Since it's pretty easy to create a social network or user generated content site nowadays, I find lots of new sites in these areas. Many are pretty good, and some are less impressive. Since I am a very generous person I will share my views on creating a website.

1. Business or pleasure
Are your site meant to be for business usage or for pleasure? Focus on one of these fields - When I'm working, it's not likely that I (or my employer) want me to be distracted by to much fun, and when I'm not working I might want to be able to relax a bit and even show pictures of myself at a party - That I wouldn't do if business contacts where using the site.

2. Choose your target audience
You must have a legible target audience when you plan your site. Will your site appeal to the taste of everyone? Should it be a general site or are you targeting people with a special hobby or profession?

When you choose your target audience, try and choose one that includes you. If you're into comics, do something with comics. If you want your site to be successful you'll have to marry it for a few years, so try to select an area that you like or are interested in yourself.

3. Check the competition
I guess that you must have some ideas that is value adding to your audience. Unless you have a huge marketing budget or are very good at guerrilla marketing, it will be hard for you to reach your audience if you aren't doing something new and fresh.

4. Get something out there quick, and get feedback
Since you went to step four your site have a clear target audience, and it has enough new and interesting functionality to appeal to the audience.
Now communicate with your visitors and let them co-drive the development of the site.

Or ignore the steps and follow your intuition from start to end! Either you will have a good intuition, and then the site have a chance of becoming a success, or your intuition sucks and the "soccer and knitting site" isn't a big hit. If it's a hit, write me an email and thank me, if it's not, the site is a great showcase for future employers!

Any steps or thoughts you think I missed? ;-)

Tags: social networking, startup, web2.0