This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How long can a person abstane from meat without it making them sick?
12-17-2012, 11:12 PM
How long can a person abstane from meat without it making them sick?
I know that a person that hasn't eaten meat in a long time will vomit if they eat it. How long can a person not eat meat without it causing them to become sick once they do eat it? While I find the modern meat market to be horribly immoral I also want to be able to eat meat if I need to in certain social situations. So lately I've been eating meat less then once a week, hoping that will keep up my resistance to meat so it won't make me sick. Is this often enough, or can I have much longer gaps without meat?
I know that a person that hasn't eaten meat in a long time will vomit if they eat it. How long can a person not eat meat without it causing them to become sick once they do eat it? While I find the modern meat market to be horribly immoral I also want to be able to eat meat if I need to in certain social situations. So lately I've been eating meat less then once a week, hoping that will keep up my resistance to meat so it won't make me sick. Is this often enough, or can I have much longer gaps without meat?

EDIT: Social situations include: Not asking my 80 year old grandmother to cook around my dietary wants around the holidays, and not turning down specially prepared dishes at dinner party's.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-17-2012, 11:20 PM

No idea.

i think if you ate it like once a month even, your body would retain its adaption.

i think you would probably have to not have it for a while to not be able to handle it at all.

you can always order the meat more cooked as well, that should make it easier to handle... i think?

hope that helps, probably doesnt :/

good luck : )

Ads

I went without meat for a really long time..like a year...and i got sick the first time i ate it again...and i dont know if that's just me..but yea...

I don't know... I plan on never eating it again and if I need to eat it for a social setting... that would be stupid... I don't know the answer to your question so maybe it would be good to test the water... see how long it takes and then let us know the results of your experiment. I mean if you are eating meat even though you find meat markets immoral for a social purpose... something sounds like a hand puppet here.

i am a sort of vegetarian except i eat chicken. and the rest of my family doesnt. so i can go a few months without eating meat. and when i do i dont throw up. i take long gaps becaus e my family dont drive me out somewhere to eat chicken very often because thats not really a significant cause to make everyone drive someplace thats only for me...

I think you are likely OK and won't get sick.

But it is immoral to be a "vegan of convenience". If you can't stand up for what you believe because you want to appear normal in "certain social situations" don't bother. I'm sure your grandmother would rather cook something for you if she knew you were a person of principle and integrity. Old folks respect that.

And as for your dinner parties, I can understand because yuppies don't care about all those trusting animals that are being put to horrible deaths.

It's not their not eating meat that makes them get sick when they eat it. It's from not eating enough protein while they weren't eating meat. This normally only happens to vegans when they don't get enough protein, and then eat cheese or meat or whatever.

Oh, and you can't build up your resistance to a lack of meat. Just get some chicken flavored, vegetarian tofu and you'll be fine.

This is not necessarily true. I have been vegetarian for about 8 years now, and on the 2 or 3 occasions that I have eaten meat, nothing has happened. Of course, if you eat TOO MUCH meat all of a sudden, then you may get sick, but if you just eat meat at one or two meals, you should be fine.

YOU'RE MOST LIKELY A MAJOR WUSS, AND YOU PROBABLY ALSO GET CAR SICKNESS, ELEVATOR SICKNESS, AND SEA SICKNESS.

This is in the wrong section. You are asking about avoiding getting ill when eating meat and this is the vegetarian section.