This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What would make you choose to go to a Video Rental Store over renting online?
12-18-2012, 04:12 PM
What would make you choose to go to a Video Rental Store over renting online?
I want to open a video rental (well dvd, blu ray and cd) store with a difference. I am not a fan of the LOVEFILM type service as I tihnk it's restrictive, awkward and expensive. I would like something along the lines of a store where you can buy and/or rent DVDs/Blu Ray Discs and CDs (albums) at low prices with low late fees.

I have been told that the video store is dead but i dont believe it. I would also encorporate a website into the idea of the store where you could reserve movies online and have them delivered to your front door or posted.(or you can pick them up)

A website where u stream movies for a price would be fantastic but most peoples computers are not good enough to stream movies in dvd quality and now we have blu ray i think people will start renting more for the quality of the sound and picture which you cant get from torrents or streaming.

Basically I want to know if these things like:

*drop offs to your house and or postage
*large selction of snacks in store at low prices
*dvd/bluray/cd and game rental
*online reservations and purchases
*notifications to your phone/facebook etc when a rental is due back
*special offers for good customers
*comfy seating in store so you can sit and read movie blurbs
*a computer database for CUSTOMERS to see what we have in store rather than having to ask the employees all the time
*ability to buy tickets to local gigs and albums of local bands

If these aspects would make a difference to you going to video stores rather than using a LOVEFILM type thing online...?

And anything else you wana add, feel free to rant about the things you hate about video stores too!

Thanks a lot! Big Grin

Charlotte

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-18-2012, 04:20 PM

In other words, you want to open a Blockbuster Video franchise.

Ads

I'm of the opinion that this concept is dead. Due to pirate movie material etc, most people now download movies instead. If not they'll go to the movies. If there however, is no competition in your area, you'll probably do fine. But that's basically the only advice I'm gonna give you: if you love film; do something else. Something more constructive and of the future.

I prefer store version to online version because I want instant gratification...if I want to watch a movie, I want to do it tonight (not in 2 or 3 days it takes to ship the movie to me).

The other features you mentioned are bonuses as well. Granted, I don't rent many movies, but when I do I'd rather run up to Blockbuster or Network Video rather than Netflix online.

i would rather go to a store to get the movie, i don't want to wait for my movie, normally when i am in the mood to watch a movie, i want it right now, not tomorrow or the next day, but honestly, i use the redbox, its only $1 to rent a movie, and if you can get it back the next day that's all it costs you, if no, its $1 a day in late fees, but they are convenient, normally at a McDonald's parking lot, or walmart entrance.

I do both... I have Blockbuster online, so I get my movies in the mail, watch them and then exchange them in the store for new ones.

It is a great deal, I don't know how anyone could top that. I watch about 6 movies a week (sometimes more) for 24.99 a month. I get new releases (that are always out of stock in the store) in the mail, often the day before the store puts them on the shelf.

Great business ideas are a dime a dozen. The hard part is turning an idea into a money-making business. Ever since I switched from the local video rental store to Netflix and pay channels, I'm not going back. I was part of the reason that my local video store went out of business. With all the services you want to provide, I don't see how you'll be able to make any money unless you charge high prices. For me to go back to a local video rental, they'd have to almost be free. Going to a video store is such an inconvenience, especially when you're working a lot of hours. Video rentals lack so many things I can get from online rentals, like foreign, independent, and really old movies that very few people want to see as well as TV series. Your best bet is to affiliate yourself with Blockbuster.