This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How do I upload a Gimp image to Twitter?
10-08-2012, 02:25 PM
How do I upload a Gimp image to Twitter?
I made a Twitter background on Gimp 2.6 and when I'm trying to apply it to my Twitter page, I cannot. I think it has something to do with the size of the background. Does anybody know how many pixels it needs to be in order to be successfully uploaded to Twitter? What am I doing wrong? Any other helpful tricks and tips? Thanks so much, I plan on choosing Best Answer Smile

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-08-2012, 02:33 PM

OK, on twitter under the "browse" button it says: Images must be smaller than 800k. GIF, JPG, PNG.

As to the size in pixels, it doesn't say anything so I don't think that will be crucial, but typically screens are not much wider than 1024 pixels so you could give it a go with that first. Also when you are ready to upload make sure you select the grey box on the background upload page (under the browse button), and not the one marked "Don't use a background image" - then click SAVE.

When you save the file from GIMP, save it as a jpg, click FILE > SAVE AS > and the "save as dialog box" will appear. From the drop down at the bottom of the dialog box, choose jpeg as the file type. Name your file something like mybackground.jpg then click SAVE, then click EXPORT. You might need to reduce the size of the file by decreasing the quality slider a little. Then click SAVE. Then, in Windows Explorer, navigate to your saved jpg file, right click on the it and choose PROPERTIES. This will tell you the size of the file. If its larger than 800k, you will need to save the image again using a lower quality setting.

Obviously the larger the image is in pixel dimensions, the more you will need to reduce the quality settings in order to compress the file to below 800k. However, an image size of say 1024 x 700 should be able to be compressed below 800k while keeping the quality at 100.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply