This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Were there more people who liked to read in the 18th century and the centuries before that?
01-08-2013, 06:20 AM
Were there more people who liked to read in the 18th century and the centuries before that?
I like to spend at least 2 hours every day reading and I don't know anyone else who likes to read as much as me. (I know there are many other people who read as much as I do, I'm just not friends with any)

Were there more people who enjoyed reading in the 18th century? There probably were, since they didn't have television to watch. Although there may have been more social events back then, when there was no twitter, no telephones, and no emailing.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-08-2013, 06:28 AM

I think reading and writing and school was pretty much the only thing to do for fun. Any other time was spent at work/school/farming/etc.

Ads

I would think more people read back then. I'm not exactly an expert of the period, but just thinking of books like Pride and Prejudice (written in the 19th century, but still) among others, there seemed to be the people who liked to read and learn, and the people who'd rather spend time socializing. That's just like today, only now, like you said, there are cell phones and televisions to distract us, as well as social events. You mentioned people had more social events back then, and while there aren't really so many formal parties and dances, I would guess that people nowadays still socialize just as much--they go to the movies or just hang out at each other's houses. When they're not doing that, they watch TV by themselves or surf the 'net.

There were probably people, like today, who liked reading, and those who didn't. Yes, there were a lot of social events, especially those for the upper classes, and the upper and middle classes were those who were more likely to be able to read. I should think a housemaid, or a footman, even if they were literate, wouldn't have had the leisure to read unless they really made an effort.

There were plenty of books, and most arbiters of education would have said that people should read morally-improving books, and those that had a message. Nevertheless, there were - particularly in the 18th century - a lot of gothic romances, which the ladies loved! Mrs Radcliffe wrote "The Mysteries of Udolpho"; Jane Austen later wrote her delightful everyday romances, and Lady Caroline Lamb published "Glenarvon" which scandalised society! Byron and poetry was popular, and also Sir Walter Scott. Fanny Burney was a novelist and diarist, and she described in macabre detail her experience of a mastectomy without anaesthetic (it worked).

Much of these would have been eagerly discussed at social gatherings; but obviously there would have been people who preferred going out and enjoying themselves rather than sitting alone with a book and a candle!

Reading was important for the people in the 1800's and before that. Knowledge of the world around us was all the people had to learn about the world and the people along with many inventions. People used books like we use the technology we have today. Having a library card was what told anyone that knew you that you were not stuoid and was capable of learning and wanting to learn. Books in a person's house was telling other people that you are a decent and well educated person, it was their identity.