This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
If you are in the public relations field what is a typical day like?
01-16-2013, 09:25 AM
i have a project to do for class, and were asked to find out what people in our desired fields daily routine was.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-16-2013, 09:30 AM

I am a PR major and i am not there yet, but everyday I know will be different. It's all about finding clients so that you can get free press for them.
If you have cable watch the Spin Crowd on E. Don't pay attention to their attitudes but the work that they do.

Ads

01-16-2013, 09:39 AM

I'm in the PR department for an organization. Every day is different, but on average the work is fast-paced, hectic, creative, and stressful. You have to understand strategy, the audiences you're trying to connect with and you have to be creative in reaching out to the public to get your message across. It's creative, competitive and fun. You have to be flexible and ready to come up with a solution or back up plan for when unexpected things happen -- which is practically all the time. One day I might spend the day sitting in meetings, working on budgets or writing administrative reports. The next day I might be art directing a photo shoot on location in a field, on a beach, on top of a building or in a formal boardroom. I could start the morning writing ad copy or a news release, posting stories on facebook or twitter, then the afternoon editing the work of others or going to the print shop to do a press check. I might start the day in blue jeans because of an outdoor photo shoot, then have to change into a suit for a business lunch. Also, in PR, you're essentially on the job 24/7, 365 days a years -- my smartphone is always nearby; fortunately, the industry in which I work settles down by early evening and on weekends, so unless there's an emergency I can relax. Some of my colleagues who work at PR agencies with big clients are literally on the phone almost round the clock.