This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Does the iPod Touch slow internet while dormant?
01-16-2013, 09:37 AM
Does the iPod Touch slow internet while dormant?
Just wondering, because I live in a place where the internet isn't the worst, but every little bit matters, especially being a pc gamer. But, even if my iPod Touch 4th Gen is on, but not being used, does it slow down internet enough to where it matters? My internet speed is supposed to be 1 mb/s, and tests I run say that, but I am not getting 1 mb/s. Its averaging 120 kb/s, like 1/9th of what my internet company is advertising. Not like I can do anything... Place I live is so remote, they own me XD Anyway, I'm way off topic.

Pretty much, I just want to know, at my 120 kb/s speeds, with my iPod Touch 4th Gen on, but not being used, does it slow down my internet? I'm asking because it has apps like weather, facebook, twitter, among other auto-updating things I use, and I was wondering if I should just turn it off while gaming to give me a little extra boost? I've tried comparing with and without my iPod in the equation, and nothing is consistent. With it off, my speeds jump around too much, and with it on, they still jump around... Anyways, thanks in advance Smile

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-16-2013, 09:40 AM

Since your internet is somewhat slow than i would turn off the wifi during pc gaming. It does slow it down but not by alot because the ipod notifications are small in terms of data

Ads

01-16-2013, 09:43 AM

Unless you have something actively streaming or downloading on your ipod, it shouldn't matter. An easy way to tell though, is trying turning wifi off on your ipod, and see if that makes a difference in your internet connection on your computer.

You either have one of two things going on, by my best guess.

A. You are not paying for 1mb/s, but rather *up to* 1mb/s. For the most part, the only time you are going to get *up to* 1mb/s is in the middle of the night when most people are not on their system. This is the most likely the case. You can bump your package up, but you will never always have the speed at which your package is advertised. It is an advertising ploy. A similar analogy is the speed limit on a busy road. In my area, there is a section of the interstate that goes directly through downtown, with several exists per mile marker. The speed limit there ranges from 35-50 (rest of the interestate is 60-75). It is lower there because of the rush hour traffic. What is ironic though, is that during rush hour, you are lucky to get anywhere above 10-15 mph. Same difference with your internet connection.

B. Someone could be hijacking your wifi and using a bunch of bandwidth. Make sure your wifi is secure and has a long AND random key on it.
01-16-2013, 09:45 AM

If your Line speed is 1mb/s(1024 kb/s),,,you should actually get a download speed of 128Kb/s(1/8 of the line speed)...I think you should turn off auto updating of the apps you own and try updating using iTunes...that will save you a lot of time...and you'll get an approximately constant speed..
01-16-2013, 09:53 AM

Nope...Whilst your iPod is in standby mode (a la the button on the top right) it shouldn't affect your network/internet bandwidth at all except for any push notifications (negligible impact-a few bytes maybe) that should be basically all the network traffic your iPod would generate in this state so no need to worry about it sucking up bandwidth, that is not a problem.