This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Have anyone mad at you because you don't give out your e-mail?
01-16-2013, 09:38 AM
Have anyone mad at you because you don't give out your e-mail?
We recently got a new computer and internet service. We normally aren't ones to chit-chat or do the facebook thing, but we decided since we only get online about twice a week, we wouldn't even bother with e-mail. Our family is not happy. Matter of fact, they keep pressing us for an e-mail and we keep telling them that we have a phone. They are now at the point of giving us no info, especially about holiday arrangements and kinfolk. We think they are acting like toddlers throwing a temper tantrum. I don't care to stay home and sit on my butt the entire day to accommodate their need to send an e-mail. Don't people know how to use a telephone anymore?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-16-2013, 09:42 AM

I agree that they are acting rather immature however on the other hand phone calls cost but e-mails are free. Well if you have a computer and are connected to the internet anyway then there is no extra charge for sending e-mails. I send e-mails and I phone people and I send letters through the mail system all depending on what seems like the most appropriate for the occasion.

Edit ...Just by the way you don't need to stay home and sit on your butt the entire day as any e-mails that come in sit in the inbox until you go to the computer and check the inbox , which you could do once or twice a week if that suits you. The e-mails do not vanish they sit in there waiting like mail in a letter box.

Ads

01-16-2013, 09:52 AM

No, but some young lady on Y!A that I'd invited to be a contact was furious because I wouldn't do IM, which it clearly says on my page. To me IM is like giving cuts in my page full of email that has come in. Why did she think that her communication was more important than those of my friends? I didn't know, didn't ask her, & didn't care. By the time we got through with a little bit of my non-responsiveness, I had put a block on her & removed her from my contacts. She kept going, "Why not?" until I'd had it up to there. In my mind, I didn't need a reason & shouldn't have to say more than no.
01-16-2013, 09:56 AM

I ignore those requests, I`ve had several women hounding me for my email, even after telling them I am committed in a good way to my wife. the email on Y/A is about as far as I will go, since it isn`t really my email. BTW I do most anything by phone even this. Cell Phones these days are really miniature computers. I carry a good magnifying glass with me when needed.
01-16-2013, 10:03 AM

WE can ask but we won't get, we can touch but they touch to much.
01-16-2013, 10:13 AM

I don't give my email address out and refuse to use Facebook or Twitter. That's it, no need to question anything farther.
01-16-2013, 10:18 AM

If you don't want to have email, then don't, and it's kind of silly of them to get upset. That being said, why wouldn't you want to use it? It's free (as long as you're paying your ISP), it's fast, it's convenient. I don't see the point of not using the technology if it's available.
01-16-2013, 10:23 AM

I blocked one brother and one sister because they insisted on sending jokes to me, I don't use the internet to look up jokes and didn't find their humor humorous.
01-16-2013, 10:31 AM

things have changed.

emails are for the purpose of writing down a lot of information at the convenience of the sender to do it when they have the time, and for the convenience of the person accepting the information at their leisure as well. Of course it's also for sharing pictures.

If I put my "silent generation" hat on then I'd think technology is something too advanced, but when I put my "generation X" hat on I see this is how people deal with today's activities, so I don't see them as acting like toddlers, they just feel if you don't want to be in the loop then it's ok by them.

People today have several emal accounts. You might want to get one especially for your family (suggest an google g-mail account) and share that with your family. You can go in there anytime you want, not just when they send to you.
01-16-2013, 10:39 AM

For one thing, why even have a computer if you don't want to give out your emails? You have to if you are paying bills etc online. You get junk mails in spam. And if you don't want to reply to a email just delete them..You are paying big bucks to have internet, so use it while you can.
Let them have your email address and just be patience! just click look delete or reply, that's all you have to do.