This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
(Question for transgender people) would you be offended if...?
01-16-2013, 09:41 AM
(Question for transgender people) would you be offended if...?
I got tagged in a chain note on facebook, it's for how masculine/boyish are you and how femine/girlish are you. I have a few transgender friends, a couple of which are very sensitive. I tagged them all in it without even thinking about it. I untagged them because I didn't want to offend them or do something that might make them feel upset.

But my question is, would you? I'm gender queer so to me being feminine and/or masculine doesn't upset me, and also it's just a harmless facebook note. But would that upset you from your transgender point of view?
I wasn't saying that my female trans friend LOOKED masculine, or that my male trans friend looked feminine, it's just a chain not like this:

YOUR BOY SIDE:

(X) You wear hoodies

(X) You wear jeans

( ) Dogs are better than cats (It's equal. DSmile

(X) It’s hilarious when people get hurt

YOUR GIRL SIDE:

(x) You love to shop(Only for certain things at certain stores)

(X) You wear eyeliner

( ) You considered cheer leading

(x) You wear the color pink

I mean that's not all the questions, but it's like that. You put an X in the () in front of the ones you are/do/agree with.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-16-2013, 09:50 AM

I don't think so. Unless you were trying to say I looked like a girl or something.

Ads

01-16-2013, 09:53 AM

Whether it offends me or not doesn't matter. Living your live trying to avoid offending people is stupid. i could say "People being offended easily, offends me" but then nobody would care.

Story time...

A MAN and his son were once going with their Donkey to market. As they were walking along by its side a countryman passed them and said: “You fools, what is a Donkey for but to ride upon?” 1
So the Man put the Boy on the Donkey and they went on their way. But soon they passed a group of men, one of whom said: “See that lazy youngster, he lets his father walk while he rides.” 2
So the Man ordered his Boy to get off, and got on himself. But they hadn’t gone far when they passed two women, one of whom said to the other: “Shame on that lazy lout to let his poor little son trudge along.” 3
Well, the Man didn’t know what to do, but at last he took his Boy up before him on the Donkey. By this time they had come to the town, and the passers-by began to jeer and point at them. The Man stopped and asked what they were scoffing at. The men said: “Aren’t you ashamed of yourself for overloading that poor Donkey of yours—you and your hulking son?” 4
The Man and Boy got off and tried to think what to do. They thought and they thought, till at last they cut down a pole, tied the Donkey’s feet to it, and raised the pole and the Donkey to their shoulders. They went along amid the laughter of all who met them till they came to Market Bridge, when the Donkey, getting one of his feet loose, kicked out and caused the Boy to drop his end of the pole. In the struggle the Donkey fell over the bridge, and his fore-feet being tied together he was drowned. 5
“That will teach you,” said an old man who had followed them:
01-16-2013, 10:01 AM

Uhh I'm a transsexual woman. F*ckin right I'd be offended if I were told I look masculine.

What kind of person are you to tell transwomen they look masculine?? How dare you???
01-16-2013, 10:02 AM

it would only bother me that I got tagged for an app I would actually ignore what the app was

I would only be offended if someone implied they thought I was being too masculine and could not pass
01-16-2013, 10:07 AM

We're living in an age now where people can't be so freaking sensitive all the time! People need to start learning how to ignore these things. No it wouldn't offend me because I've been called every name in the book and I've learned to shield it and move on with myself.
01-16-2013, 10:10 AM

Would some be offended? Probably.

This is especially true to those early in transition who are trying to be patient as they wait for HRT to change their bodies to look more they should have. To them dysphoria is very real and very strong while their self-esteem and self-confidence are often quite low. The result of receiving a chain note like that could put them in a serious spiral. Usually the farther one gets into transition the more self-esteem/self-confident they feel as they have become more and more of their true selves.

Having finished transition several years ago receiving something like this wouldn't bother me at all. I would simply hit delete and move on. Not because it offended me, just that I don't like silly surveys/tests like that; I have better ways to spend my time.

You said: "I have a few transgender friends, a couple of which are very sensitive. I tagged them all in it without even thinking about it. I untagged them because I didn't want to offend them or do something that might make them feel upset."

Probably the smart move there.
01-16-2013, 10:18 AM

Why tag any of your friends with a social app? Especially a judgemental one.