This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ideas on getting my book reviewed ?
01-16-2013, 10:28 AM
Ideas on getting my book reviewed ?
Okay, so I have written a book and published it ( self published ) through a self publising company. It is now for sale on line and at the publisher's web site. I have a limited marketing budget and would like to get some national exposer for it, but getting an influential person to do a public book review seems like a challenge and I dont know if I have what it takes to get them to do do me this terrific favor. Any ideas from other authors on how I might achieve this ? Thanks people. Richard

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-16-2013, 10:31 AM

"National exposer"?

No wonder you self-published. You can't spell!

In all seriousness, you aren't going to get any influential person to do a review. Expecting someone to do so shows you are only out for your own gain and using THEIR name to create interest in a self-published book. While this may work for someone who is already well-known and established, for a self-published unknown writer it just looks like you're trying to take advantage of someone.

I strongly suggest you start small by finding bloggers who might be interested in doing book reviews. E-mail them and give them information about your book. Be willing to provide a copy to them for the purpose of review. I don't know a single blogger who would accept the opportunity to review a new writer's book but then be expected to pay for the book.

If this idea works out for you be willing to promote their blog via social media and not just for your own benefit. As long as you make it two-sided and beneficial for everyone involved you might have a chance at getting more exposure.

Be prepared to not sell many books though even with going this route. Self-published books rarely do well unless they're a specific niche.

Either way, I wish you luck.

Ads

01-16-2013, 10:32 AM

Hire Literary review magazines to review your story. Authors hire them all the time and then pick and choose the nicer remarks to add to the back blurb of the book. Every company has different stipulations in order for them to review your book. If you're looking for national exposure then try places like USA Today and Chicago Tribune and the like.

You also need to find virtual (online), communities like "Goodreads" or book review blogs or book journals and other print platforms to receive testimonials from readers. The more reviews you receive, the more likely it will draw in publicity from more accredited media platforms. You could also look into audio book readings and offer for a limited time, a free reading of your book via audible and other sites for basic promotion.

Again, you'll have to look into the specific requirements for each website/company.

P.S. Don't listen to that other commentator. Paying for reviews isn't in any way immoral or unprofessional. It is standard procedure. Where do you think 90% of the book reviews on the back of NYTimes bestsellers came from? The kindness of that reviewer's heart? Heck no. They were paid. Paying for reviews doesn't guarantee praise anyway, you're paying a reading fee. Legitimate book reviewers even have authors sign waivers acknowledging this.

@luck: Frowned upon by the industry? What industry are you referring to because the U.S. publishing industry certainly isn't it...sorry to contradict your Twitter friends. Here's some facts you might want to consider:

1) Traditionally published authors pay reviewers for a thorough reading and analysis of their story (which includes the good/bad aspects of the story). The publisher/author then paraphrases/quotes from that review and strings all the praise together with ellipses, (which then makes it on the back cover blurb).Those reviews were paid for. And it was legitimate. If you were truly a part of the professional publishing industry, you'd know this.

2) Book reviewers are not impartial to self published authors. This has actually been a major concern in the industry, the discrimination against self-published authors (though this is gradually improving).

3) Traditional and self-published authors also review each other's books without any compensation whatsoever. This is also considered a legitimate form of review despite the conflict of interest. It's why authors join writing communities in the first place, to take advantage of this service from each other. The Romance Writers of America or the Science fiction and fantasy writers of america.. or countless other accredited networks like this are examples.

So, feel free to thumbs me down all you wish. Facts are facts.
01-16-2013, 10:37 AM

Paying for reviews is bad form. When you find a reviewer willing to accept an indie book, you give them a review copy (digital or otherwise) for free. You don't pay a reviewer, because they're impartial, independent opinions that are meant to be unbiased toward you or the text. Paying someone for a review is like buying their favor. Now, there are MANY authors who do this to make their books look better on Amazon or Goodreads, but it's unscrupulous and frowned upon heavily by everyone else in the industry. So, that's good news for your budget. The bad news is that it's very hard to find the reviewers willing to accept indies.

I follow several writers and bloggers through Twitter, and occasionally mention of one such reviewer will pop up, but I've never taken advantage when they have, so I don't have specific names for you. Another good source of leads, though, is the Facebook group "Book Junkies". My best advice would be to put out your feelers, fire up the search engine for "book reviewer indie blog" and see what comes up, and get involved in the social media for yourself to establish a web-presence to spread awareness of your book, and of yourself as an author.