This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is it acceptable to request additional information via email in response to job listing?
01-16-2013, 10:09 PM
Is it acceptable to request additional information via email in response to job listing?
Interested in applying for a receptionist position at a local company who posted their ad on CL. They request that applicants submit a cover letter and resume by email but they do not provide any of info necessary for a proper cover letter. In my opinion, cover letters are pointless, especially for a position such as this. Regardless, I do not want to insult anyone by pointing out their flawed request. Is it acceptable to respond by email with a brief introduction, statement of interest, and a polite request for addition information about the company and the hiring official(s). I don't want to jeopardize my chances of landing an interview but have no patience for the ignorance of those in positions of authority. This is for a local tattoo shop with no website, no info on their Facebook page, and no hints/riddles to assist me on this informational scavenger hunt.
I am aware of the possibility that other people might share my desire to obtain the position in question. I am fully prepared to put forth the effort necessary to get the information I need. I was simply asking for an experienced professional's opinion as to whether or not making a request via email would be offensive to those in charge of hiring new employees. Please do not waste my time with pointless babble.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-16-2013, 10:10 PM

You can ask away, but they won't answer. People who advertise a job opening get so many answers they don't know what to do with them. Why bother to answer questions?

Ads

01-16-2013, 10:18 PM

I agree, cover letter now a days are pointless for a certain postion. Why not make a letter of introduction instead? It is a relatively new concept that is being used more and more frequently in the job market. A cross between a resume and a personal statement, a letter of introduction is a way of introducing you to a potential employer. It differs from a resume in the ‘letter’ aspect—it is really a resume in the form of a letter. This gives you an advantage, because instead of just stating facts and statistics about yourself, you get a chance to actually appeal to the employer. http://www.letterofintroduction.net/

About making a request via email I suggest it would be a waste of time because there are more people than ever competing for the same amount of jobs, and employers have more and more choice among candidates to decide who will best fit the job. The HR or to those in charge of hiring new employees will no longer entertain such questions for their main priority and concern is to hire new employee.
01-16-2013, 10:23 PM

In the recent time the cover letter are pointless for a certain position. So you can request information via email for job. If you need some information about statement of interest please visit http://www.statementofinterest.com/