This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How to start up an online business?
01-16-2013, 10:09 PM
How to start up an online business?
Hi All,

I would like to make my dream come true by starting my own business.

I thought i should start firstly online, and then move on to a high street shop eventually.

I wouldn't really know how or where to start with this? Is anyone able to help me with this?

Thank you

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-16-2013, 10:12 PM

Success online requires spending significant time:

Researching competitors
Understanding how Web tools work (Twitter, RSS Feeds, etc.)
Becoming familiar with the culture of the Internet.
Register Your Domain
Your domain is your unique address on the Internet. It is your piece of intellectual property, just like a patent or a trademark.
Find a Web Host
A Web host is the company that essentially will "rent" you space on their servers to host your website. These companies usually offer domain registration and it’s often easier to have both with the same company.
Determine Product Delivery Methods.
Depending on your product type, your delivery methods can range from very simple (downloadable information product or an online service) to more complex (shipping of goods via courier, using a fulfillment company).
Build Site Traffic:
Register with the three major search engines (Google, Bing and Yahoo)
List your blog in the major blog directories
Content marketing, video and audio podcast
Online Advertising: Google and Facebook ads.
Direct mailing (print, not email)
Offline marketing (billboards, company vehicles, stationary, print ads, promotional product

Ads

01-16-2013, 10:13 PM

Hi Rain there are some good answers here for you already but since I have been through it recently I wanted to share my experiences with you.

First of all I found that once I had an idea and pitched it to my friends in family either one of two things happened:

A: They are biased and therefore told me what I wanted to hear and said yeah awesome idea! Or..

B: They told me it would never work and give up now

Never ever ever take advice from friends and family when starting a business unless they are experts in the field. What you need to do is figure out exactly what you want to do. Have you got an idea for a new business? Has it been done before? Is it unique? Do you have a USP? (Unique Selling Point)

If you haven't decided on a business idea yet then just take an hour, sit down with pen and paper and make three lists. Title the lists as follows:

What you are good at doing
What you enjoy doing
What will make you money

This is very important and wont just make you money but will make you happy while making money. You will notice some of your answers overlap. Whatever answers are in all three categories then that's the business area you need to focus on.

I could type on here all day but I don't want to scare you off with a novel. So I will simply say do what feels right and stay legal.

I offer daily advice and tips for start up and small business on my blog at: http://www.purpleoakdesign.com/blog

Lots more stories and advice to get you started.

Good luck.