This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What should my major in college be?
01-17-2013, 06:41 PM
What should my major in college be?
Hi, I'm a senior in high school and I'm a little unsure of what I want to major in/what to do with my life. I have already been accepted to University of Pittsburgh, and I will most likely get accepted into Penn State Main Campus relatively soon. These are my two choices for college, and I can't really decide which one would be better for me. The main problem is I don't know which major I want to choose. I have narrowed my choices down to Biochemistry, Biology, Chemistry, Neuroscience, Physics, and Physics/Astronomy. I understand that all of these will require going to graduate school, because I want to do research of some kind or work for a pharmaceutical company and try to help develop drugs.

The main dilemma I'm having is I don't know which one I will like the best long term. I don't really care about salary too much (as I do not plan to have children and plan to marry), but enough to support me modestly. SO, the question I'm asking is: what kind of things does a person with these degrees do? What is the average day like, are you able to be social and talk to coworkers or are you shut in a lab doing calculations all day? And also how do both Pitt and Penn State compare to each other academically/socially? What is the job market like for these fields? Also, I will NOT go to medical school to become a doctor, so that is out of the question. Please only answer if you have actual experience with any of these questions.

Thank you in advance!

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-17-2013, 06:49 PM

I can't really answer your questions, but try an internship! Maybe it will help you make your decision. Or maybe shadow someone with these degrees and see how you like it if you don't want to do a long internship! Hope this helps you!

Ads

Okay, so, you have (in a way) already narrowed it down. You enjoy research and would like to work at a pharmaceutical company and help create new drugs. With this, I think the best subject for (enjoyable) research would be Neuroscience, but the best subject to prepare yourself for being a pharmaceutical scientist is Chemistry.

The University of Pittsburgh is actually a really good school. Maybe, to narrow YOUR choice and discover YOUR passion, you should do some job shadowing to gain the knowledge of each profession for yourself instead of the internet. Nobody can tell you what is in your best interest. You, and only you, can make that discovery and that decision. I hope I helped. Best wishes.

Bets bet would be biology, biochem, or biology. The best thing you can do is try to get into a research program asap! This will help you decide