This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Marketing Degree vs. Finance Degree?
01-18-2013, 04:57 AM
Marketing Degree vs. Finance Degree?
I am a newly accepted student at the University of Connecticut School of Business and my current major is Marketing. However, some people have told me that Marketing might not be the best major, and anyone can get a Marketing job by only taking a few marketing classes but not necessarily get a degree. I think it's probably the most interesting aspect of business because it involves creativity and being social.

I'm torn if I should change to Finance because people say there's better opportunities for jobs and more job security, but I'm concerned that such a particular career path would be bland and boring. However, I am sure the money is good. I hope to at least make over $100,000 at some point. So I'm torn.

As an aside, my school offers an opportunity to get a certificate in Professional Sales (which is a concentration of Marketing) which is open to any business major.

What do you think???

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-18-2013, 05:05 AM

First of all, congratulations. Second, the choice between majoring in Marketing or Finance is a good choice. Both are practical and can lead to successful careers. If you were trying to decide between an English degree and a Finance degree and paying for college with loans then I would stress a Finance degree.

In your case I would say go with your gut. If you are social and creative then marketing would be a good field. We wouldn't want you to get your creativity out when creating your company's financial statements. If your personal traits, goals, likes, and wants align with your professional goals, likes and wants then you should have a greater chance of success and happiness. If you enjoy what you do then the money will follow and you can easily make $100k with either degree concentration. Well, I shouldn't say "easily", but it should be within your post graduation means.

For $100k you're looking at a VP or CMO title at a large company. If you want to start your own company for potentially unlimited income then a background in both marketing and finance is helpful, but a finance degree would be more practical. You can learn the principals of either concentration on your own after graduation.

For me, college was good for one thing and that was teaching me how to learn. When you know how YOU learn best then hopefully you can have a lifetime of learning. As I get older my feelings about formal, organized, university education are starting to mirror my feelings on formal, organized religion. Don't pay too much for salvation because chances are you can find YOUR answers on YOUR own (answers are within).

Educate - root Educe - latin Educer - meaning to draw out something hidden within. It's in you. You're a genius, probably don't know it, but you can do whatever you put your mind to.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply