This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What must someone do now in order to competively compete in the tight job market upon graduation?
01-18-2013, 05:39 AM
What must someone do now in order to competively compete in the tight job market upon graduation?
I'm a freshman in college.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-18-2013, 05:47 AM

Network, Network, Network. I am a recruiter for my work and the more familiar your face is, the more likely you will be called in for an interview. Go to EVERY career day or equivalent that your college/major offers. Meet with the recruiters NOW and get to know them. By the time you are a senior, they will know you and put your resume in the "hire" pile!

Ads

also maybe use facebook to contact people at the companies you might want to work at, i dont know if it would work but i could see how it might if you used it correctly, I know once i stop being lazy i will give that a try

make the most of your years in college. Make lots of friends, join clubs, have fun, do volunteer work. Friends will help you in the future and the other stuff will look better on your resume than a high grade-point average. Don't drink or do drugs (it will only get you in trouble, arrested, pregnant etc), learn to be classy, stay physically fit, don't smoke and pursue the most interesting summer jobs you can possibly imagine, even if it pays next to nothing.

Hi,

I conducted many on-campus recruiting functions at many top level universities in the past: UCBerkeley, USC, NYU, etc etc. The way you stay ahead of the game is your experience.

While most college students are working odd jobs here and there, you should look to get a job at a professional work environment. Look to volunteer/intern at a company for free if you must to build your experience. By interning or volunteering, you get to network with other professionals and get your face out there.

Looked into Linkedin.com. it's facebook for professionals. Utilize it to network with other individuals.

Get to know your neighbors, you'll be surprised what your neighbor does and maybe you can get a job with them.

If you are a minority student, look into http://www.INROADS.org It's an organization that looks to help place minority students with fortune 500 companies across the nation.

BTW, do well in school! Having a GPA less than 3.0 can restrict good job opportunities.

Cheers!