This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How do you get poems published?
01-18-2013, 11:48 AM
How do you get poems published?
I write a lot, a lot of poems, and well, I would really like get a poem book published, I've got all the poems ready, I just don't know who I call or email or facebook or meet to get them published. I'm 13, by the way.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-18-2013, 11:56 AM

you only get them published if they are exceptional and will be bought by other people. Why would other people buy your poems? what is exceptional about them, this is the question you need to answer if you send poems to any publisher.

Ads

Pray about it. GOD will work wonders. try entering a contest at school and they could submit it to a company who publishes books.

Because of your age I would recommend you start off submitting your poetry to teen literary magazines, and also check to see if your local library or school or anywhere in your local community, see if they host any teen poetry contests. That would also be a good place to start.

It is very important that you check your poetry for proper grammar, spelling, punctuation, you know, just make sure everything is written to the best of your ability and flows well.

I would highly recommend that you allow a trusted adult, (like your english teacher), to read your poem.

I didn't include your friends because friends will often tell you what you WANT to hear and not what you NEED to hear, as far as what you should change to make your poem better.

Mainly because they are your friends so they will tell you this so they will not hurt your feelings. So their feedback wouldn't be as honest nor as accurate as say if someone else were to without the bias of having been your friend.

Teenink.com is a trusted and reliable poetry site. I would recommend you start there.

The competition is stiff however, so you may find yourself overwhelmed by difficulty of being able to get into their magazine but as long as you continue to write and believe in yourself then you can do it.

The more you submit your work there, the better your chances are that one of your pieces may be picked for submission into their magazine.

If they tell you that they have submitted your poem onto their online magazine however, then that only means that others will be able to read it, such as your family and friends and others from around the world, but that doesn't mean it was chosen for the magazine.

Beware of scam poetry websites. Some of the most notorious websites are "poetry.com."
SCAM. Do NOT post your work there. They aren't a legit poetry website.

If you are persistent and determined, you may find yourself published in no timeSmile

Don't give up! Hope this helped.♪

-Denmark

No legitimate publisher will be interested in a book of your poetry until after you have established a track record by publishing lots of poems in magazines. For information on magazines, print and online, that publish poetry, take a look at these two sites:

http://www.poetsmarket.com/

http://www.duotrope.com/index.aspx

(Your local library might have a copy of the book "Poet's Market.") Before submitting your work to any journal, be sure to read one or two copies to get a feel for the kind of poetry the editors are interested in.