This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What kind of jobs could I get if I got my Masters Degree in journalism?
01-19-2013, 03:22 PM
What kind of jobs could I get if I got my Masters Degree in journalism?
I love writing, and I've won awards for it at school So when I go to college in two years, I want to get my Masters Degree in journalism. But I'm afraid I won't be able to find a job. What kind of jobs would I be eligible for?

Also, is journalism schooling expensive?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-19-2013, 03:30 PM

Television and F.M./Radio news reader

Ads

01-19-2013, 03:30 PM

There are many career paths for someone with a journalism/communications degree, and perhaps surprisingly you don't need a master's for a lot of them. While it is true that the media industry is going through a sea change brought on by the growth of digital publishing and the Internet, the keyword you should take note of is "growth." We are in an information economy, which means that people who are skilled at packaging and presenting information in a compelling way are going to be valuable in the workplace. This is true for reporters, editors, authors, public relations and marketing professionals, advertising creatives, graphic designers, public speakers, public information officers, and the list goes on.

True, journalism is not the most lucrative field you can be in, but there are opportunities to make good money with the right experience and area of expertise. This is what you would want to consider in pursuing a master's degree; focus on something specific such as a economics, science, technology or politics, so you can combine that with your more general journalism degree. I would recommend first getting your bachelor's out of the way and trying to land an internship doing whatever it is you might want to do. That experience will be worth almost more when you start out than a piece of paper from a master's program in journalism — unless your goal is to become a journalism professor.

The cost of your education can be whatever you want it to be. You can start cheaply at a community college or go large at Columbia School of Journalism. Credentials could make a difference in some fields, but that's more a personal decision based on your goals and budget. Speaking strictly as a newspaper editor who got into this gig with a B.A. from a state college, I can tell you that my employer would take a serious look at someone who is aggressive, curious and has current digital and social media skills. There is a bright future in this field for someone who fits that profile.

Good luck with your education.