This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What is this tradition about mischief Elves?
01-21-2013, 02:11 AM
What is this tradition about mischief Elves?
I seen on multiple people's facebooks that they have stuff doll of Arthur the elf or another elf causing trouble around their house. Sometimes they aren't causing mischief and is just having hot cocoa or something. Is this a tradition I'm not aware of? Is there a website I can read up on this?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-21-2013, 02:19 AM

It's called "elf on the shelf" and there are about 50 million web pages and blogs about it.

As far as "tradition" it's not that old, like maybe 10 or12 years tops, but only got popular across the USA in the past five years because of tons of marketing.

Basically you buy this felt elf doll that comes with a book. there is a naming ceremony, then the idea is the elf hangs around all day and watches the kids, then goes to report to Santa every night and tell him if they've been naughty or nice. So the parents move the doll around every day so the kids believe the story. It's become a competition of sorts, or so it seems, for people to find more and more silly, fun, gross, naughty, mischevious and ridiculous things for the elf to be "caught" doing.

I am NOT making this up. I read the latest issue of Parents magazine and it was suggested you freeze the elf in a bowl of water. Another blog suggested you put him in the fishtank. And those WERE serious ones. there are tons of sits and blogs that suggest gag and dirty stuff to have the elf doing.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply