This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What exactly happened with the nurse and the Australian radio DJ's prank?
01-21-2013, 08:10 PM
What exactly happened with the nurse and the Australian radio DJ's prank?
It's all over the news, but I can't quite find out what went on. Could someone explain to me in full detail?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-21-2013, 08:18 PM

DJs prank call hospital about royal family's baby.

Nurse who recieved call kills herself (Maybe had mental issues?).

DJs are under fire for this event.

Ads

01-21-2013, 08:18 PM

I live in Australia, so I've been told the story dozens of times.

Australia's most popular radio network is called Austereo. In all the captial cities, they have an immature, pop song station with juvenile hosts and rubbish headbanger music. In Sydney, it is called 2day FM. Kyle Sandilands, their popular breakfast host, is notorious for making innapropriate and rude comments. It's somewhat of a routine around here - Kyle says something dumb, he gets banned for a while, then all the idiots start listening to him again. The quality of Austereo is crap.

The two hosts involved in the scandal did a top-thirty show. Because the Duchess' health scare was all over the news, they decided to make a topical prank. They phoned King Edward VII hospital in London, the hospital that has traditionally treated royals. One impersonated the Queen, the other Prince Charles.

The poor nurse answered.

'Oh, helooo, can I speak to Kate please, my granddaughter?' With that, the nurse put them straight through to medical staff, who went on to divulge the Duchess' personal business.

The hosts later said they fully expected to be hung up on and that the segment would be entertaining because of their bad accents.

They passed the recording on to station management, who approved it for broadcast after alledgedly trying to contact the other nurses five times.

In the next few days, a scandal ensued and international shame was brought to my country yet again. The two hosts reportedly described the call as a career highlight.

Then tragedy struck. The nurse who had put them through, probably already depressed and suicidal, decided that this embarrassment was the last straw and took her own life.

I was shocked when I heard the news. It really is a terrible set of curcumstances. In Australia, the hosts were given death threats, including by a creepy Youtube user in a V for Vendetta mask. They were taken off air and closed their Twitter accounts.

Yesterday Australian time, they appeared on the two major current-affairs shows, told their side of the story and expressed their grief and regret. To be fair, they couldn't have forseen their prank, stupid as it was, would result in this. They're still stupid, though.

Austereo is under fire and called an emergency board meeting a couple of days ago.

The British press is apparrently criticising the hotst and radio station quite harshy (one commentator interpreted this as compensating for sticking their noses into royal business for many years).