This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How do you feel about a woman initiating a handshake?
01-22-2013, 08:04 AM
How do you feel about a woman initiating a handshake?
My job is a marketing position for a nursing home. I give tours to prospective residents, meet with family members and doctors, social workers, etc. When someone comes to my facility, or if I consider myself the "host" of a situation, I extend my hand and initiate the handshake. I did it today when an older woman came for a tour when I introduced myself, and it seemed like it struck her funny that I did it. I am a 27 year old female. What do you all think about a woman initiating the handshake in a situation?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-22-2013, 08:12 AM

I have no problem with it. It is all business.

Ads

I think it is definitely the appropriate thing nowadays for women to do.

I am a business professional that works with a lot of older doctors and such. Sexism is pretty apparent for some of them. Amoung professionals they should always offer you the courtesty of a handshake.

However you were speaking with an older woman, who would probably prefer this situation to be less about business and more about personal needs.

I think that you are doing the correct thing by offering a hand shake. It is perfectly accepted ...however when that older lady was a young girl ...women did not act as freely.And women were not at that time out in the business world as much as we are today !

I was taught that you are your handshake regardless of your sex. A firm grip(not crippeling!) is a sign of assurance,especially on a first meeting and it leaves a lasting impression. It's said that people size each other up within minutes and women in seconds,especially each other as only women can. But that aside, a professional approach menas offering a handshake and a direct look in the eyes.

I think it is totally fine... but some in the older generation may have a problem with it... I would not worry about it... My Dad taught me early in life to look people in the eye and have a firm handshake... I think it's great when other people, men or women, have the same confidence in themselves.

btw, I am 41

It is proper etiquette. A man should only offer his hand if a woman proffers hers first.

RON: Curtsey, thats funnier than H E double hockey sticks....haha...

Maybe she wanted you to give her a peck on the cheek or a curtsy?

it is most appropriate for a female to extend her hand under any circumstance. Shaking hands is after all, a sign of greeting and friendship.