This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What would you propose as policy and/or programs to eliminate racism in the American economy?
01-22-2013, 10:32 AM
What would you propose as policy and/or programs to eliminate racism in the American economy?
Some scholars and social commentators claim that the policy of affirmative action in employment, though well-intentioned, will never eliminate racial disparities and discrimination in employment because the policy does not address restructuring the job market that has been deliberately racially segmented for over 150 years.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-22-2013, 10:40 AM

I recently learned in sociology that racism will always exist in America. The moment you realize that people are separated based on the color of their skin, you become racist because now you see me as a black woman instead of a woman. You see her as a hispanic woman instead of a woman. When you're young you see two women. As you grow and learn about different races you see a black woman and a white woman.

Ads

Well, if you think about it-it seems that ALL the human problems here on earth can be settled if we were all just dead...I know this doesnt sound very ps but I really don't care...Is it PS when we kill millions apon millions of animals every year just because we're to lazy to eat a fucking veggie! Yes, the human deaths WOULD include children because THEY will grow up retarded like the rest of us (sadly enough)...It's funny how everyone speaks of peace but right now there are thousends of people in the militery killing other people...And my question is WHY!? WHY do we need to murder for "peace"? It hasnt worked in the past so why would it work now!? Sorry, just needed to rant I guess lol.

I would go further in my criticism of affirmative action. According to Shelby Steele the vast majority of the beneficiaries of affirmative action programs are middle class blacks and hispanics or white women. Such policies have nothing to do with relieving economic stress among poor blacks.

Moreover, by their nature such programs are win/lose rather than win/win. As such they alienate whites, particularly white males and thus serve to perpetuate racism.

If by racial disparities you are talking about equality of outcomes then that is simply not a realistic goal. Of the twenty-four ethnic groups tracked by the U.S. census bureau Greek-Americans have the highest average level of education and the second highest per capita income. Does this mean that Greeks are persecuting the rest of us? Rather, is it simply that education and income go hand in hand and those cultures that value education more than others achieve greater material success?

So, I would propose eliminating all government backed racist programs like affirmative action and instead focus on more equitable distribution of state resources particularly education. Spending the same amount per student in rich and poor neighborhoods will produce greater equality of opportunity. If this fails to produce equality of outcomes so be it. That is something that people not governments need to change for themselves.

Peace.