This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Would moving to a warmer and sunnier climate cure my depression?
01-23-2013, 02:57 PM
Would moving to a warmer and sunnier climate cure my depression?
I live in the UK and I have a lot of depression most of the year until Summer, I don't feel I can physically or mentally live in this country any more. I'm sick of gray skies and cold weather.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-23-2013, 03:05 PM

That may well be the case, but you need to think further into the ramifications of a move. Some considerations that if problematic can easily cause a continuation of or possibly even greater depression include:
- Citizenship process
- Financial cost of move
- Availabilities in the job market
- Availability of good education
- Health Care cost, quality, availability
- Racial climate of the area (will you be stigmatized, ostracised, accepted?)
- Crime Rate
- Spoken language. It is one thing to learn to speak a new language, quite another to be skilled enough in that language to compose and interpret documents ...etc.
- The weather there
- Availability of social activities you enjoy (i.e. sports, clubs, restaurants...etc.)
- Demographics
- Legal System and its laws
- Democracy Socilism? Social Democracy?
- Exchange rate
- Cost of living
- Cost of housing in those areas you would be happy in

So many considerations beyond weather.

NOTE: I am Canadian and I am soon to graduate as an Economist: I wretchedly hate the weather here and intend to move. I have evaluated the above considerations and must admit it is difficult to find the right balance.

Ads

01-23-2013, 03:05 PM

Sounds like seasonal affective disorder. Basically, it's being depressed during winter months when there isn't a lot of sun. If that's the case, then I suppose that moving would help.