This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My parents don't trust me, how can I gain it?
01-24-2013, 01:36 AM
My parents don't trust me, how can I gain it?
I honestly don't know why they don't trust me, I don't do anything bad. I'm a good student, all my friends are the nerdy top 10% of the class kind. I always let them know what I'm doing, where I am, who I'm with, I also don't smoke, drink, have sex etc.
Anyway, my parents won't let me buy my own laptop, pay for a smartphone, have wifi in the house, have a facebook, twitter, I'm not allowed to have a webcam, they monitor my computer usage and the have like the parent lock over sites like that, they always ask me ridiculous questions and tend to question how truthful I am.
I guess, when I was younger , I lied a lot. Like if I broke something, or drew on something I'd blame it on the cat, but I grew out of that when I was maybe 7.
I'm 16 now. I'm smart, and I know how to be safe on the internet. I just really want to be able to like oovoo with friends, or keep updated on what everyone is doing on facebook, all my friends make fun of me for it.. sure they're joking, buuuuut it's annoying.
I did they told me I don't know anything, and that I am a stupid teenager with raging emotions that I don't know how to control yet.
The only reason I have this is because it is my email. For school purposes... They just didn't know I could use yahoo answers.. shhhhhhhhh

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-24-2013, 01:44 AM

Your parents know how dangerous the internet is. Let them monitor you. It proves you are not doing anything that could hurt you. That will help them gain more trust in you.

Ads

Seems like your parents are just being over protective. Talk to them about it and tell them that you are responsible and you should be able to do more

Just talk to them because it sounds like they think you are still a little kid but explain to them how your feeling. That might gain more trust into all of you guys.

I'm so jealous you sound so much more secure than I was at your age! Haha anyway, you clearly sound like you have given them little reason to distrust you, so the only explanation is they love you very much and this manifests itself as overprotectiveness. Tell them that you want the Internet for school stuff and then gradually introduce them to the idea of Facebook. I can't believe they have no use for the Internet themselves! Anyway, you must have some Internet access right or you couldn't use yahoo? So wherever you made this account, use The Internet there. If you have a library you could go there or a friends house etc. and Facebook, trust me you aren't missing out on much. My parents banned me from using it til I was 16 and eventually I rebelled and got it anyway. Now I hate Facebook. I am completely addicted, it's totally boring and constantly distracts me from homework, not to mention makes me feel lonely. Facebook will bring your grades down! I'll admit it's fun to check now and then.

You get the idea, if your parents won't budge you'll have to think outside the box to find Internet access, good luck.

Ps. Youll have left home in 2-3 years for college and you can have all the online fun you want then!