This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Question about finding foreigners in Beijing?
01-24-2013, 11:00 PM
Question about finding foreigners in Beijing?
Hey all I have a little problem that needs to be solved
I go to college in Beijing,and I'm just looking for a website or something where I could get to know foreigners who are also here ,like just to chat or maybe even hang out.
Since all social networks like myspace, facebook,etc. is blocked .. it's been really hard,life gets pretty boring from time to time,and I am too shy to start a convo with a stranger in public hehe,so if anyone knows or is also in Beijing..... please answer Smile

thank you very much.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-24-2013, 11:08 PM

I think the best way to find friends in a strange country is to join fraternities in your college. There must be foreigners here. Besides, to have some Chinese friends is not a bad idea.

Beijing is a prosperous city with brilliant life and modern style. Just to overcome your shying, and you'll find that to make friends is not so hard.

PS: normally, facebook or twitter should not be blocked in foreigners' dormitory in most of Beijing's colleges and universities. You should tell your school about this problem.

Ads

@xiao, Facebook and Twitter are blocked all over China. They are not "open" in college dorms.

To the questioner . . . no other foreigners at your school? Just head down to Wu Dao Kou and go to any of the coffee shops there. When I lived there from 2005 - 2007, you couldn't go ten feet without bumping into a foreigner.

Sanlitun, the bar district, is loaded with foreigners.

Try going to the Beijing International Fellowship . . . many locations throughout the city.

http://www.thebeijinger.com/ is a site you can check out as well.

Some social networks (like myspace, facebook) are not absolutely blocked. You need to go to telecommunication company applying for it in particular.

Bookworm is a place to meet foreigners with reading hobby. you can visit http://beijingbookworm.com/

Besides, you have been in a vibrant city, all the interesting things are just around you. Any foreigner who has been immersed well in the local culture would hardly count on myspace and facebook social networks, since they are not an important part here.