This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Scared about my future because of social anxiety?
01-26-2013, 12:25 AM
Scared about my future because of social anxiety?
I'm almost 18 and I'll be out of high school in a little over two months now. However, I'm honestly scared that I'll never be able to find a good paying job, or any job for that matter because of my social anxiety. I'm constantly hearing about how hard it is to impress employers during interviews and how you basically have to be really outgoing, confident, and comfortable to have any chance at all. I'm none of those things. I'm extremely awkward and shy around people when meeting them for the first time so how am I ever supposed to survive in this world?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-26-2013, 12:33 AM

Rachel,

my condition too is quite bad. I too suffer from social anxiety, may be too much though I am much older than u & hve a steady job. Surely, I could hve done better in my career if I had been able to set aside this problem.

As long as I am in a formal social situation, I still can manage to control my anxiety to some extent but my anxiety becomes worse in an informal social situation. That's why my personal life sufferes a lot. No friend, no girlfriend, very few well-wisher and so on.

Anyway, I hve decided that I'll live life of a loner and I hve braced for such a future. I hve made my mind prepared for it. So currently I don't even want to cure this social anxiety, not even feel interested to socialize.

I'll never recommend this for anyone else. Such decision has to be taken by oneself.

Ads

01-26-2013, 12:33 AM

You don't need to "impress" employers you just need to show your dedication. That's all they want. Simple things like taking in your C.V. by hand, rather than emailing it in. Shows how much you wanna be part of the team. Also experience counts for alot. Even volunteer work, that counts as experience, its a great stepping stone and you are also helping people. It's good on both ends. Don't forget theres a hidden job market, in the people you already know. Let them know when you are actively looking for a job, and then let it spread. You'll get reccommended to somewhere eventually.

Nothing comes handed to us, everything requires hard work. Not every job environment requires you to be out with people. Depending on the employment you want, you could work around that issue. But I suggest you confront your anxieties. You can lead a perfectly "normal" life. Perhaps talking to a psychiatrist will help? Or doing some sort of activity that gets you motivated. Even if its a solitary activity such as painting, piano etc.

I don't think you should let other people's experiences on interviews sway you of your chances of employment or getting out there. Those are things that are a few months away. People don't always have our best interests at heart when they are talking to us.

You are spending too much of your time looking at the big picture. That's a whole 2 months away! This is your last few months at school. I think you should embrace them and be proud you have finished school. One day at a time. Don't live life for the destination, enjoy the journey. You never know when the trip is over Tongue