This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is a 5th grader to young to be on Facebook or Twitter?
01-26-2013, 03:39 PM
Is a 5th grader to young to be on Facebook or Twitter?
All my friends go on Facebook and Twitter.My parents say it's dangerous for a 5th grader(me) to be on there.I really want to be on there and they(my parents) said if a lot of people say it's OK I can go on.Please do not say yes just because I want you too.I want the truth.If it's dangerous tell me.
PS:If you are a kid please DO NOT answer this!

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-26-2013, 03:47 PM

5th graders shouldn't, wait until like 7th or 8th grade

Ads

hun.. stay off the internet. My parents protected me from not having social sites when i was your age as well.. your really not missing out on anyting. wait a little bit longer. trust me. it can be dangerous...there are so many people these days that just pretend to be who they are really not. your parents are just trying to protect you because they love you :]

Probably. I don't know that it's dangerous, per se...I mean, you can set up your FB page to be totally private, and your parents can watch your activity. But being that private means nobody can find you, which I assume would negate the point of you being on FB.

IMO, a 5th grader should be outside playing with their actual friends, not inside, having a virtual conversation on the computer.

That said, my opinion means nothing. The only ones who get to make this decision are your parents. They are the bosses of your house, and until you hit age 18, they're the ones who are responsible for making sure you do hit age 18. If they think you're not old enough, then that's really the end of the conversation, unfortunately.

honest opinion:

Facebook is nothing more than a social networking site, unless you make it more than that. posting racy pictures, cursing, and "friending" people you do not know and/or your parents would not approve of will make your online experience more dangerous.

if you are on there for pure fun and games/chit chatting, then i'd say go ahead! it's relatively safe. i am not sure about twitter, as i do not have one. but facebook rules!

go for it!! just don't get too ahead of yourself and lose the trust of your parents.

I'm 15, just FYI.

It can be yes and no.
Your parents may kind of be misinformed. My mom said no to myspace (and still says no) because myspace is just in general unsafe because your profile is viewable to everybody and setting it to private doesn't always work.
It is up to them, but facebook is really safe. You can set it to where you can only view your name if you aren't friends with them. If a person is caught by a predator on facebook, its because they were being a fool and accepting friend requests from everyone.
Though the thing is, the age limit is 14, but that doesn't matter because most people don't follow it.

According to Facebook itself, 5th grade is too young. Their minimum age is 13.

one) u have to be 13 to get facebook and two) yes it is a little younge to get facebook