This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I want advice for the music business?
01-27-2013, 11:27 AM
I want advice for the music business?
I'm attending school in a CUNY school in New York but I want to major in the music business. I want to open up my own record label one day and promote artist with a great potential in their songs. I want to go transfer and go to a great school for the music business. I was looking into Full Sail University but is that a great school for starting in music? Also I want to learn more about music history as well. But I don't know where to start... What do I need to know? What school is good for the type of music career I'm looking for? How do I start my record label and let it be known to the industry? I want to be fully prepared before I open up my business.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-27-2013, 11:35 AM

Hi Sherly!

I love that you have very defined goals for you future, that is awesome! Full Sail might be a great spot for you to pursue your degree at. We have a great Music Business Bachelor’s degree which will teach you traditional business skills, such as: law, management, marketing, networking, distribution, and more. However, all of those areas are going to be specifically directed on how you need those skills and would use them in the music business arena. If you want to check out the degree specifically and the courses you will be taking check this out: http://www.fullsail.edu/grads

Based on your interests and questions I would recommend reaching out to one of our Admissions Representatives to discuss whether this would be the right degree to fit your goals. You can speak with an Admissions Representative by calling 800.226.7625 to discuss everything further. Also, you can always get some first hand perspective by posting in our Facebook community to see what other people have to say: http://www.facebook.com/FullSailUniversity

Please let us know if you have any questions and all the best with your education!

Best,
Hannah M.
Full Sail University

Ads

01-27-2013, 11:35 AM

let's make sure you've thought this whole label thing through. Running an indie record label is fun, but it takes a lot of commitment and a ton of money. It's critical you go into this with your eyes open. Here are a few things to consider:

If you are starting a record label with the sole purpose of releasing your own music, be aware that being both label owner and only artist on the roster brings some limitations. Even with the best intentions, your label runs the risk of coming across as a vanity project. That means that some distributors may be hesitant to work with you and some funding sources may hold off on investing in you. If you are planning to do promotion in-house, remember that it can be a little uncomfortable for everyone for you to be calling up journalists asking them when they think of your album. This isn't to say that you shouldn't start a label to release your own music. It just means you need to be aware that it brings along a few complications other labels don't face.

You will almost certainly have to work on your label every day, even if you have a full time job. Do you have the time to invest in making the label work?

However much you are budgeting for your label - it will cost more. Can you start a label and cover your bills?

For more information you can visit http://www.radiopromotions.ca worlds renowned and professional music marketing and radio promotion page..
Thank you and i wish it must help you.