This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Chances of being accepted into Wharton at UPenn (or other good undergrad business schools)?
01-27-2013, 04:21 PM
Chances of being accepted into Wharton at UPenn (or other good undergrad business schools)?
I'm still in my second year in high school, but am interested in studying business, concentrating on advertising, communications and marketing. I'd like to know more about what I can do in the next two years to be prepared for applying to good undergrad business schools (in particular, Wharton).

What I have so far:
GPA: 3.9 (I go to an extremely competitive school)
750 on SAT II Math Subject (taken 2 times)
Am taking advanced honors courses
Preparing an art and music portfolio
Am president of a community-scale TEDx program at my school
Intern at a social media company
Volunteer at a hospital
Have taken a few classes in comp sci
Spanish Honor Society member
National Art Honor Society member
Play flute in a local youth symphonic group

Planning to take: AP Economics, AP Psychology, US history, AP English and Literature, AP Calculus and Statistics, AP Bio, AP Physics, Spanish Honors, AP Chinese

What other courses/activities would you suggest? Any advice on pursuing a career in marketing/advertising?

Thanks!

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-27-2013, 04:29 PM

You should have a good chance considering that you still have two years left to do a lot of things

However, I am assuming you are of an Asian descent (since you said you are going to take AP Chinese)
That gives you a major disadvantage if you are Sad
Make sure your art portfolio is drawn from a good place (school drawing portfolios are not very good no offense)
I would sign up for a summer program at Wharton like http://www.wharton.upenn.edu/academics/lbw.cfm
If you get to know some of the people there, it can help when getting selected in.

But in other words, you are looking decent so far.

BTW, is 3.9 GPA weighted or not?

Ads

Sounds like you're off to a great start! Undergrad business schools like Wharton are looking for students that demonstrate leadership, initiative and a passion for business - in activities both inside and outside of school. So it's great that you are president of the TEDx program, and also intern at a social media company. You can also spend your next 2 summers further exploring the business world - especially in a marketing or advertising firm/department to learn more about it. Some of our students have even started their own small businesses.

Good luck!
applyivy
http://www.applyivy.com

You should have a good chance of gaining admission, as you seem qualified! As for your inquiry about marketing and/or advertising, my mom was the President of a company for outdoor advertising, and my friend's mom is in charge of the marketing department for a hotel. From what I know, it's a hard business. If you want to do well, you're going to schmooze a little...