This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What is the most effective way to obtain a career in graphic design WITH OUT a degree?
01-27-2013, 04:33 PM
What is the most effective way to obtain a career in graphic design WITH OUT a degree?
I'm willing to work my butt off and learn independently but am unsure of how to make it into the industry?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-27-2013, 04:41 PM

Books, the interent, learn from actual graphic designers? The best way to make it into the industry may be from work experience, or try finding a friend of a friend who has a company in the area and see if they will offer you a job based on your skills.

Ads

Create a portfolio cv that shows off you and your work and take it out to anywhere that might work with you and take on freelance jobs where you can get them.

Give your best and learn to market yourself.
Have a blog. Ask friends to promote you.
create a FB page. And most importantly, remember there are no boundaries for creativity.

Experience is key. Get a crappy job at ANY design agency and start. I find experience is actually more important the any degree you might have. Next up learn, just cos your not going to college doesnt mean you cant know as much as they do. The key with learning is to be as up to date as possible with all current software. A great place to start is Lynda.com theve got loads of online course from everything from Photoshop to Word. They also have print off able certificates you can put in your CV. Also do some independent designs using what you already learn. Im not sure what area of graphic design you are going for, but say your going to Magazine and Media design- make yourself a little magazine/ leaflet. It can be literally about nothing, just as long as you can show off your design skills.

Also when you go for interviews know the lingo. A lot of design (at least media design) is very web centric nowadays. Youll need to know more complicated things than just myspace and twitter. Look into how e-commerce works and HTML, these are sure to impresse potential employers.

I run a design and media agency in the UK and we were looking for designers at the end of last year. In the past we have had roughly 15-20 people apply for the position, this time, due to the recession and a huge surge in designers we had over 200 applications. This means its a very tough job to get into, especially without a degree. I interviewed loads of people and finally found the one for the job, she does have a degree. However I am the one who employed her and I dont!

Maybe think of starting your own firm, then, like me, you dont have to worry about qualifications!