This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why do I hate predictable stuff so much?
01-28-2013, 09:20 AM
Why do I hate predictable stuff so much?
Like how people wear those holographic glasses and have a buncha unicode in their twitter name or are from silly places in their soundcloud? Like have always not liked predictable shit but I really dont know why.. Like people talking a lot about GIFs.. or the art of Richard Phillips.. Or like how I am going to call this stupid question netart or whatever.. I dont know.. i just really don't like predictable art stuff and i dont know why.. help me!!

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-28-2013, 09:28 AM

Because it is corny and exemplifies the fact that humans are animals with animal nature. They run in herds.

Ads

To my dearest Ryder Ripps,
Perhaps these daily predictable acts which you feel such disgust for are merely minor manifestations of what is at the core of your intolerance i.e. the disapproval of living a predictable life. Life and predictability can be seen as contradictory for example, a man who plans his life to the most precise point needn't live it for he hast already experienced it through his predictions. To be predictable is to be dead, or more specifically a zombie. In contrast, to act on impulses and embrace improvisation is to live life to its fullest. To live neither in the past nor future, but solely in the present.

I would suspect that predictability bothers you to such an extent because of parallels within your own life. It is often noted that the things which we hate most are those which we fear are within us, for example tell a girlfriend that she acts just like her mother and see whether she takes that as a complement or a dis (spoiler alert: a dis). Perhaps you are attempting to cope with the predictable life or career which you have caught yourself in. Perhaps your intolerance towards these predictable acts are ways in which you express the disgust which you subconsciously feel towards yourself (aka your 'mid-life crisis' is crowning like my wisdom teeth yo).

The answer, like always, is humor. Being predictable is an inherently human characteristic i.e. we are all born, then we all die. Between these two points of certainty we can only create the illusion of unpredictability. By embracing the absurdity of our nature through humor, life can remain exciting and intellectual whilst remaining predictable. Amongst others, David Lynch has a good sense of humor when it comes to this stuff.

Umm perhaps because you, yourself, are so predictable that you cannot view these 'art-stuff' from the people around you as their sincere attempts of expression? Look at it this way: if it is easy to appropriate the expressions of these people without much care about their significance, and generalize it down toward some sort of internet aesthetic, it is because you disconnected or are disconnected from the intentionality behind the expression which explains why it all seems repetitive, predictable and meaningless to you. You would hate it less if you actually belonged to communities which originated and use these expressions.

Also GIFs existed way before you ever came onto the webz, and people used to talk about them too because u can do a lot with it. And ninja who is a cool dude of die antwoord fame wears holographic glasses to not only block the harsh rays of the south african sun from his eyes but to let us see something about himself in it. Seriously, how can you hate self-expression? You are an artist who makes his living from your expressions and you are celebrated by institutions which outside of their inbreeded insular circles have no significance to the rest of us internet citizens, yet we are not hating it. I think the reason why you hate these predictable stuff is because you are, basically, a dancing monkey for that small circle who by either paying you attention or money creates a terrible dependency that separates you from the rest of us.

But guess what? Those people aren't the future. The internet is driven by self-expression and those who enable it, appreciate it, facilitate it are celebrated by society both monetarily and by status where as you, you had to struggle to establish notability on wikipedia. Have some humility, and stop practicing your art: be like the rest of us and use the tools of the internet as a means of self expression. Sign up for livejournal and tell us how was your day, curate a tumblr blog and post gifs of cool videos you've seen, maintain an instagram feed. You need to abandon your privileged expression in the name of 'net-art' and cut the relationships with those who support it, and get a real job then you'll stop hating what you see people around you participate in. I even bet you'll embrace those things you hated, and in turn enjoy a richer and more fruitful life.

By the way, do you seriously think this is net-art? Duchamp could perhaps only attach significance to his fountain if the fountain could not provide a meaningful critique to why it wasn't what Duchamp said. You are talking to people here, our performances aren't as controllable as an inanimate urinal who will let you construed it into whatever you want.