This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Are any of you "unplugged" from social media?
01-28-2013, 06:30 PM
Are any of you "unplugged" from social media?
I recently deleted my Facebook and Twitter accounts. I never realized how freeing it is not to have to worry about who's doing what and where or what self-serving celebrity posted pics of themselves and 140 characters describing said picture.

I only recently became aware of other social media outlets, but how many of you have just decided that you would rather talk to people in person rather than a wall post or tweet?

Do you feel that our society is becoming more distant from socialization? It seems as though potential mates, employers, even colleges are utilizing social media as a primary means of communication. Thus, increasing their distance from prospective lovers, employees, and students.

Also, I hated the fact potential employers can and do look at your Facebook profile and determine who you are based on what you post. I just decided that enough was enough.

If you did just completely stop using your social media accounts, what was your reasoning?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-28-2013, 06:38 PM

I was just really turned off to Facebook, Twitter and Myspace... it's like more or less sites for girls to compete with each other over who's life is more fulfilling.

While guys may try use it to maybe meet girls, I don't see it as having much potential for that unless you spend a lot of time creating a big tapestry of your life online that will appeal to those girls... seems like a lot of work though... guys are probably better off just using dating sites maybe or just going out to clubs or bars.

I think we haven't really tapped into social media that can really benefit everyone and really engage us in conversations with each other... Sites like Yahoo Answers, SodaHead and Youtube have done a better job at engaging people into conversations than social media has. I've met more people through Playstation Network that seemed friendlier than I've met through Facebook. XD

Ads

here's one for you: I chucked my cell phone in the dustbin, and I've enjoyed real freedom these past 3 years!

I have never used any social media site and never will. I find it interesting that there is even a privacy flap over Farcebook when people use it to constantly spread their personal information all over the internet. I'm an engineering student and I have heard several times that even though everyone is more "connected," when new college grads get hired they often lack "soft" skills like communication and interpersonal relations. This doesn't surprise me, because we as a society have exchanged meaningful relationships for shallow crap on social networking sites. One thing I would love to see is Farcebook being blocked in university computer labs, because people are waiting in line to use the computers while 7 out of 10 are wasting time on that crap.

One skill that social media does not allow you to develop is being able to read another person's non-verbal communication, which is vital if you are going into any type of career like sales or counseling where you deal with people on a daily basis.

I stopped using mine for privacy reasons and Im never looking back.The only problem I find with it is that many potential employers are a bit worried when they cannot find you on facebook. Like it makes you strange or antisocial.

I do use some online forums and I have some 'friends' on there who created a group on facebook, and I felt a bit left out as I was the only one who didn't join.

Putting it raw, it's all a waste of time. I mean read a book!