This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
To be a social worker should I major in Sociology or Social Work?
01-29-2013, 04:07 AM
To be a social worker should I major in Sociology or Social Work?
Hi, I have been researching the two and it seems to me both degree's are good (BA's) to be a social worker. Now it seems to me sociology is actually better because it is much broader (less narrower that Social Work degree) and gives much more job opportunities that extended beyond just social work than a Social Worker degree does.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-29-2013, 04:15 AM

Why not major in one and minor in the other?

Sociology is going to teach you a lot more broad, theoretical things, but Social Work will give you more hands-on, practical skills. Social Work also usually gives you the opportunity to internship or work in positions that would be similar to the work you would be doing down the line. Heads up on life: a degree in Sociology really isn't going to get you much mileage on the job market. It's one of those amorphous majors like Communication or Anthropology where people reading your resume are going to have no idea what you actually can or can't do in a job. I have 3 social science degrees and people still don't get what I do.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply